Columnaris Bacteria Found in Scugog Carp

ccmtcanada

I found this article online about preliminary results from the Carp die off in Scugog. A bacteria called Columnaris has been found, however they cannot say this is the cause as of yet.

Article can be found at http://www.mykawartha.com/article/12504

The spread has also been confirmed in Pigeon Lake and Pigeon Creek. http://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.com/web...ews&classif=

A description of Columnaris is below....taken from http://www.fishyfarmacy.com/articles/columnaris.html

Columnaris A bacterial disease caused by the bacteria Flexibacter columnaris. This disease is usually associated with some kind of stress condition such as high water temperature, low dissolved oxygen concentration, crowding, or handling. Symptoms of this disease include grayish-white spots on some part of the head, fins, gills, or body usually surrounded by an area with a reddish tinge. The columnaris lesions on different species of fish vary in size, location, and appearance. On fingerling rainbow trout, a lesion usually originates on the back of the fish and progresses down each side resembling a saddle. On crappies, the lesions are generally confined to the fins and gills and rarely extend to the body. The lesions on bullheads generally appear as small circular areas with sharp distinct outlines. Although columnaris most commonly involves external infections it can occur as an internal systemic infection with no visible external signs. Scrapings from a columnaris lesion placed under a microscope will reveal long, thin, rod shaped motile bacteria. The bacterial clumps form microscopic columns or dome shaped masses, hence the name columnaris.

Columnaris is most commonly seen in warmwater species when water temperatures are above 68 degrees F and in salmonids species when temperatures are above 59 degrees F. Under appropriate conditions columnaris can spread rapidly and cause catastrophic losses in a matter of several days.

Edited by ccmtcanada

Interesting.

But I still think that if it had anything to do with high water temps and low oxygen levels then carp would be the last fish to be affected. Damn things could live in a bathtub for weeks...

I agree Kemper...they thrive in high temps and low oxygen. The only thing is that it's spread by contact and they do bump into another all the time...after the spawn there can be sores on them, making the spread of a bacteria much easier.

The only thing it does NOT explain is the bulging eyes...which is a sympton of VHS...

The mystery continues....let's hope it's not VHS and that it's not spreading to other species!!!

Interesting.

But I still think that if it had anything to do with high water temps and low oxygen levels then carp would be the last fish to be affected. Damn things could live in a bathtub for weeks...

Yup have to agree with that statement. :D

Its a common occurance that carp and cat fish form disease.Most disease are introduced by puddle hoppers.

What is important is to clean your live wells and bottoms of boats when you anticipate to change bodies of water when fishing inland waters.Simply to eliminate or minimize transport of such disease

Some diseases form from over population or crowdment,its mother natures way of harmonizing and balancing the biodiversity

Biggest prob MNR and all MNR face is no monies while there superior Gov spend wastefully at a rate of leading us to bankruptcy.I do beleieve MNR people want to do good but cant speak out in negativity because of there Ministerial manegement that rule above em

Trim the Goverment and put the forces to work,you"ll see it will improve

Ever notice how PM gain weight once they are in Office

Edited by marc thorpe

Found another article today....This one says Chemong Lake and Buckhorn Lake are now also reporting dead carp. It also said "many of them hemmorhaging under their scales", which is inconsistent with this Columnaris bacteria they are talking about....the bulging eyes are also not consistent. Also of note, the bacteria was NOT found in Scugog carp...just Pigeon Lake carp. Wonder if we'll ever get an answer?

http://www.mykawartha.com/article/12530

Edited by ccmtcanada

This is the email I received from Dan Taillon

Folks,

We have received some preliminary results from the Guelph Lab:

Testing to date at the University of Guelph has not identified a clear cause for the carp die-offs.

First round of test results did identify columnaris bacteria in the carp samples from Sturgeon Lake. Columnaris bacteria have been associated with fish die-off's. However, further tests are being conducted at the University of Guelph to try and determine whether other causes may have affected the fish.

Based on these preliminary findings at the University of Guelph lab, MNR is also discussing with the Federal government the possibility of testing some of the samples at one of their Federal labs.

Columnaris does not pose a threat to human health. Wear gloves if handling dead fish.

Some brief info about Columnaris:

Columnaris is caused by the bacterium Flavobacterium columnare.

The disease is prevalent worldwide in freshwater fish.

The reservoir for F. columnare is presently unclear, though many flavobacteria live in water and mud

Flavobacteria are also known to occur on the bodies of fish, especially the gill area.

Epidemics are associated with some type of stress condition such as low dissolved oxygen, crowding such as would occur during spawning and warm water temperatures.

Columnaris rarely occurs at water temperatures less than 13ºC; above 18°C its onset can be sudden and its progression rapid.

Bacteria may enter the fish through the gills or broken skin and under poor conditions massive losses can occur one or two days post infection

At this point there are no practical methods for controlling the spread of columnaris when it is present in a wild fish population in a given body of water.

The primary problem could be a virus such as the Koi Herpes Virus. It was responsible for a massive die off in New York in 2005.

2005 article.

KHV affects the common carp (Koi were domesticated from them) and can look like other diseases.

See KHV for details.

The situation could have been caused by someone deciding they didn't like their pond anymore and dumping infected koi into Scugog.

More speculation, there is some idiot posting on internet sites claiming that the situation is dire he is claiming that there are no birds going in the water and the seagulls have all gone his claim is complete rubbish.

This past weekend I saw numerous gulls,ducks and large numbers of geese having a grand ole time on the water to say nothing of the beaver and other animals that live near the shore line.

Enough already with the bullshet and speculation.

I am just posting what I observe some people like to stretch the truth and spread false information bad news is apparently more sexy, how many times have you seen a dead fish or bird in the water many times over the years I would suspect but now if someone see`s a dead bird or a dead rockbass on Scugog it makes the news papers and the 6 o`clock news.

This past weekend I was out on the lake for a sunset cruise and noticed a dead Musky I pulled it in to have a look at it and saw no visible signs of disease the fish in all probability died from a bad release it is not the first time I have seen this and it won`t be the last, I am not even very comfortable even mentioning this because the next thing you know some idiot will start another rumor.

It certainly does not help the situation when organizations like Bassmania decide to avoid Scugog (Goreskis)for this weekends event there is no reason what so ever that Scugog could not host the event.In there wisdom they have decided to have the event on Sturgeon this weekend instead. Good call boys. I hope when you call Ron at Goreski`s and ask if you can use our facilities in August he tells you to go jump in the lake,I don`t need a 100 Bass boat trucks and trailers tying up our ramp and parking spaces all day.

Good luck on Sturgoen.

Edited by lookinforwalleye