Grip for Musky rod

CrowMan

Back in September, we spent almost 2 weeks primarily targeting Musky in NWO (Eagle and Cedar Lakes). It seems that my age (65) is finally catching up with me. We prefer to cast, but tossing 6 oz + baits (and figure 8'ing) day in and day out takes a toll on these worn out shoulders and arthritic hands. Every day, after 3 or 4 hours of casting, I  would make the suggestion "why don't we troll for a liitle while" ..

Anyway, I came across a new series of Musky specific rods from St Croix that feature "GRASP" grips...it's like a pistol grip extension below the reel seat. Their marketing material claims that this keeps your casting hand in a more ergonomically correct position allowing you "to fish longer, harder and quicker hook-sets"..

Anyone have any experience with this type of grip ? I'm hoping to fondle some at the local tackle shop when the come in...but just curious if anyone had any feedback ?

62b0c853144dc-lt_musky_2023resizedforShopify.png

• Like 1

My 1st thought was that grip may force you to always keep your hand and wrist in the same position which could make it even more uncomfortable. I know anytime I was casting large baits for an extended period of time I liked to be able to change my hand positioning.

Also looks to me like it may hinder your casting.

Just my opinion though as I've never tried that type of grip before.

Edited by lew
  • Like 2

I switched over to the GRASP handles this year with a 9'6 Slingshot II and a 8ft Switch Blade I use for glides/jerks.    Coming from a 9ft Big Nasty and a 7'6ft XHF 'The Jerk' jerkbait rod.  

I find the GRASP handles much more comfortable and have a lot less wrist fatigue at the end of the day, especially tossing big bucktails.   It does take some getting used to though.   I gained casting distance going to the 9'6 MH from to the 9ft Big Nasty.   It makes the casting even more effortless.   And when you're burning blades you're really going to like the GRASP handle compared to the trigger grip you're probably used to.   Some guys like them, some guys don't.  I was a bit skeptical at first but after a few days on the water, I'd never go back. 

If you're going to grab these, wait till the Odyssey as Gagnons will have 30% off St.Croix muskie gear the weekend of the show.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BillM said:

I switched over to the GRASP handles this year with a 9'6 Slingshot II and a 8ft Switch Blade I use for glides/jerks.    Coming from a 9ft Big Nasty and a 7'6ft XHF 'The Jerk' jerkbait rod.  

I find the GRASP handles much more comfortable and have a lot less wrist fatigue at the end of the day, especially tossing big bucktails.   It does take some getting used to though.   I gained casting distance going to the 9'6 MH from to the 9ft Big Nasty.   It makes the casting even more effortless.   And when you're burning blades you're really going to like the GRASP handle compared to the trigger grip you're probably used to.   Some guys like them, some guys don't.  I was a bit skeptical at first but after a few days on the water, I'd never go back. 

If you're going to grab these, wait till the Odyssey as Gagnons will have 30% off St.Croix muskie gear the weekend of the show.   

Thanks for the input Bill. Sounds like I may have to invest in a couple of new sticks...even if it gives me a couple more hours of casting a day, it'll be worth the investment.

Which begs the question...can you retro-fit them on an existing rod that has a traditional trigger grip ?

57 minutes ago, lew said:

Reading your review makes my thoughts totally wrong Bill, good to hear you like the new style.

Lew I think it just comes down to personal preference.  The first day or so I was like 'I dunno about these things!'   I noticed it made my hand cramp like it never has before but that only lasted an outing or two.   I find along with the bucktails it really helps with the glide baits.  I fish my glides by palming the reel and using my wrist (opposed to some guys jerking the entire rod down towards the water or to the slide) to impart action.   It was much easier on my wrist by using 2 fingers on the new handle to assist that rotating motion of the reel if that makes any sense.    Kinda hard to explain lol.  

Crowman, I know some guys that use the below.  I never have so I really can't comment on how it is compared to the GRASP handle St.Croix uses.   That being said I'm sure any rod builder could strip down your current muskie rod and rebuild if the GRASP handle is available separately. 

https://www.muskyshop.com/en-ca/products/rod-reel-accessories-trolling-outdoor-grips-cork-jig-ripper

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

How do you thumb the spool when casting with these?

i can certainly understand how it would be better for retrieving, but casting I’m not sure how it would work.

Like I said, have yet to put my hands on one...but I assume it would be like holding a handgun where your thumb cocks the hammer. Naturally, a low profile reel like a Tranx or Lexa is going to feel more comfortable....a beer can reel like a Calcutta is probably going to be a stretch.

12 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

How do you thumb the spool when casting with these?

i can certainly understand how it would be better for retrieving, but casting I’m not sure how it would work.

My thumb position hasn't changed, the bottom two fingers however are now on the handle vs wrapped around the blank.   I use low profile reels (Toro Beast, Tranx) can't say how it would work with a Calcutta or similar.