Rod tip broke - need a rod suggestion for a Abu Black Max

siwash

Hey guys, was out with my son and casted an x-rap while fishing for smallies and the rod tip (top 8" or so) just snapped! It's a Falcon rod (medium action, 1 pc 6'6").  Pretty disappointed as it's only about 1.5 years old.  Anyhow, I am looking for a recommendation for a casting rod that would pair well with that reel. Budget is $90-$150. Should I go with a 1 pc or 2? 6.5' or 7'+?

Thanks!

Edited by siwash

I definitely prefer 1 pc and I would go 7 ft for the most versatility. Not sure what you usually use it for, but you may also want to look at Med- Heavy.

Fenwick HMG 7ft sells for around $150...good bang for the buck

I saw this deal at Peterborough Pro Tackle...the Mojo line is good value and it's on sale

Screenshot_20230831_084948_Chrome.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's priced at $60. Like most things you get what you pay for....so it's going to be a cheaper blank (heavier and less sensitive) and cheaper components. 

Some may not agree with me, but a better rod will help you catch more fish..

Considering the rod is your primary connection to a fish and it should last many years...personally I wouldn't cheap out on the investment. All things considered, it's probably one of the least expensive parts of fishing...how much is a tank of gas these days ?

Frankly, it's many years since I've spent less than $250 on a rod....but I'm a bougie mf who appreciates good gear...but that's me

Both the Fenwick and the St Croix offer MH. If you like Daiwa take a look at the Tatula line...

Edited by CrowMan

1 minute ago, siwash said:

Would that St Croix Mojo "bass" rod serve me well as an all-around rod for multi species - pike, bass, walley, etc?

Absolutely....if I could only own one casting  rod it would be a 7ft MH Fast.

That and a 7 ML spinning rod will pretty well cover 90% of the situations on Ontario lakes....except Muskies of course

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

MH mojo is a quiver killer. It will do everything you need it to do from pike, bass, walleye whatever Theres basically nothing it wont be able to do as far as casting baits around.

My big "budget" rod that I am on right now are the evergreen combat sticks. Those rods are built like $300-$400 JDM rods at 1/2 the price when they go on sale.

Edited by AKRISONER
  • Thanks 1

So funny - as I sent the above message I got a call from Peterborough and they told me a guy literally walked in and bought the rod as I placed the order!! Maybe someone following this thread!! 😂

anyhow the guy convinced me to try the tatula for a few more bucks. Similar specs. I'm sure it's a good choice too 

15 minutes ago, siwash said:

anyhow the guy convinced me to try the tatula for a few more bucks. Similar specs. I'm sure it's a good choice too 

Great rod for the price...gets good reviews..

https://www.wired2fish.com/fishing-rods/daiwa-tatula-xt-casting-rod-review/#slide_3

https://www.tackletour.com/reviewdaiwatatularod.html

Edited by CrowMan
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, siwash said:

The tatula arrived next day. Amazing service from Peterborough tackle. 

the rod is so light. Feels great in the hands. Cannot wait to use it. 

thanks 

Lol I love watching the slippery slope that you are on. I remember “splurging” for a Bob Izumi special combo for like $140 for the combo and thinking I was “set” I used to rip my tinner over near a set of pads, anchor down and throw a spinner bait in hopes to catch a largemouth or pike. 

It’s addicting, but it keeps me sane is what I will say. I also don’t maintain any other vices at all, no smoking, drugs, drinking from the occasional beer, so fishing is my substance…and I let it fill me up. 

definitely would have been cheaper to take up smoking and drinking though 😆

Edited by AKRISONER

5 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

Lol I love watching the slippery slope that you are on. I remember “splurging” for a Bob Izumi special combo for like $140 for the combo and thinking I was “set” I used to rip my tinner over near a set of pads, anchor down and throw a spinner bait in hopes to catch a largemouth or pike. 

It’s addicting, but it keeps me sane is what I will say. I also don’t maintain any other vices at all, no smoking, drugs, drinking from the occasional beer, so fishing is my substance…and I let it fill me up. 

definitely would have been cheaper to take up smoking and drinking though 😆

I'm hiding the visa bills from my wife. She has no idea how much I spent. It's basically all your faults! Stop it guys!!!

• Haha 1