Pflueger President Maintenance

dheitzner

hey everyone,

so i'm trying to do some maintenance on my baitcasters now that bass season is done, and i've started with my pflueger president. the trouble that i'm having is i can't get the handle off. i realize that on my other baitcasters there is a thing in the center of the handle with a screw that allows the handle to be removed and then the drag can be backed off and the gears exposed. on my president there appears to be no way to do this.

does anyone have any experience with these reels?

I'm using the Presidents and Supreme reels from Pflueger and have found the same thing. I couldn't get the side cover off. If there is a problem with the reel, I would take it to warranted service centre and let them play with it. If you break something, it will cost ya.I f they break it, they fix it.

from what i have been told the plueguer and bps reels are not servicable, if there a problem you throw it away and get a new one

The reels are serviceable. I have spoken directly with a Pflueger rep in the US . It's probably best then to have a dealer repair or clean them out.

I'm always impressed when I hear about somebody who's willing to break down their reels, given how many parts there are (at least from the manuals that came with my reels).

I'm the kinda guy who will always end up with an "extra" piece at the end of it -- which is why I take my reels to a pro. :dunno:

Mike

First, hold the reel in your left hand like you're gonna make a cast. Then, reach a finger or two across the bottom, across the reel foot, and hold the drag star in place. With your open hand, reel backwards on the handle. The handle will now unscrew from the shaft. Remove remaining parts as necessary. If you still can't get it, drop in to BPS, and I will show ya if 2jack2 doesn't first.

2jack2, do I know you?

Remove the handle as follows: Tighten the star drag as far as possible. Hold the star drag towards the reel body. Unscrew the reel handle. This is a bit cumbersome but it does the job. I service mine every year.