can anyone help?

BFSC Kevin

im just trying to decide between the edge or powerdrive for bowmount..

how much of an area does the edge and powerdrive require on the bow to bolt onto?

i like the edge because it is cable steer and less fancy stuff to deal with but no power meter?!?!?!

but then i like the powerdrive because it has that extra 18' of cable so i can steer from the back, i like the variable speed, i dislike the foot pedal(anyone really like it out there?).

how are the lift/deploy mechanisms on them?

thanks for any help.

Kevin, I just purchased an Edge with a 52" shaft a few weeks back and so far it seems like a good motor. I've always used MotorGuides but thought I'd try something different and sofar it's no better or no worse, and up until now I'm happy with it.

We were on Stoney Lake on Sunday in some pretty windy conditions and I had no trouble going into the wind whatsoever.

I find the foot pedal higher than I'm used to on MotorGuides and therefore a bit uncomfortable to me, but I'm getting used to it and in awhile I won't even notice the difference. If you haven't used anything else your self, it'll seem fine to you.

It deploys / retrieves easily, the steering is very smooth, and the on/off pedal is easily accessible

The base for the Edge will be longer than a PD but it doesn't take too big of a deck to accomodate it and the installation is very simple and can be done in no time. The wiring doesn't have a plug on it, so you'll need to buy a new one to match whatever you currently have on your boat, or just buy a complete new set.

I've never personally been a fan of PD's myself and have always preferred cable steer, but that's only my opinion and many folks are happy with them and it's a decision you'll have to make yourself.

I bought my Edge at LeBarons as it was $30 cheaper than BPS and BPS wouldn't price match.

I would go with the edge.

Cable steer is the way to go, because if something ever happened to the steering with one that was electronic, it would cost a bundle to replace. Could even have to replace the whole motor!

Foot pedals are fantastic once you get the hang of them.

I would never go with a motor without one.

for the edge.. i am worried about the size of the deck space i have available for it to mount onto.

gallery_905_249_7012.jpg

you guys think it'll fit?

i went to LB to take a look at it.. but i totally forgot about looking at the size of the mount..

i was very close to buying a maxxum bow mount but that mount was wayyy too large for my boat.

Kevin, I think you may be OK with the Edge, even if it hangs over the back of the deck a little bit. You'll want to move that bow light though so the mount will protrude over the front but that's not a problem as you can buy a light that extends up higher and will sit behind the mount.

Kevin, it doesn't show up too well in the picture, but it'll give you an idea that my deck isn't really very big either, yet my MotorGuide with a 52" shaft fit perfectly and the new Edge that I'm using now is basically the same size mount.

The mount has to hang over the front of the boat enough for the motor shaft to be deployed into the water without hitting the boat, and then with the mount running on an angle along the gunnel towards the back of the boat, it should give you plenty of space.......I think.

As fir the quick release mount, I believe their only for the PD models and won't work with the cable steers, but I could be wrong on that one.

Cnv0976.jpg

I have had my new PD for a couple of weeks now with no major complaints the foot pedal does take some getting used too I liked the older version better,the unit stows and deploys easliy and it seems to be easy on a battery.

I guess if I had one complaint it would be Minn Kota`s claim of the weedless prop going through anything, I guess the guys at Minn Kota don`t test their motors in a really weedy lake they should do a test on Scugog this year to see how weedless their prop`s are, but I had a pretty good idea that the weedless wedge prop wouldn`t go thru the Scugog jungle.

The only thing I don't like about my powerdrive is how it deploys.....sometimes its a queen to get out of the bracket.......but it slides real nice once its unlocked.

I can run it all day no prob on one battery too.......on a 16ft deep and wide. Wind doesn't matter much....unless its say over 40k.....then it just sucks anyway you look at it for fishing.

My pd is mounted on a deck smaller than yours, so you'll be fine I think. It hangs off about 4", just so the shaft clears the hull.

Sinker