Trolling Motor issues

Dustinnn

Hey all,

I'm a virgin post'er, but love this forum.

Anyways, I got up to the cottage friday afternoon, put the trolling motor on the boat, went to go out fishing, decided I'd give it a try before I left the dock, and sure enough the thing wouldn't turn. Battery was tested and was fine. You can hear a little buzz but the props won't even turn. Does anyone know where to get a trolling motor serviced. It's an old Minn Kota, is it even worth getting fixed? I don't want to spend a ton of cash.

Bad way to start a day of fishing, but still managed to catch a few smallies.

IMG_0197.JPG

If it is Old why not look up HOW TO FIX A TROLLING MOTOR online and try taking it apart yourself. Afterall how difficult can it be??

This is the approach I sometimes take, although in saying that I will have to admit to purchasing a thing or two afterwards, mostly it works out in the end and I learn something in the process.

http://www.outboardrepairs.com/minn_kota/

http://www.outboardrepairs.com/topics/005616.html

Just a thought...

Cheers,

Jen

P.S Welcome to OFC

I'm from the Newmarket area, but work in Toronto. So I can go pretty much anywhere to get this thing fixed. I did take it apart on the weekend expecting it to be dirty and corroded but to my suprise it was really clean, so I'm still lost.

If it is Old why not look up HOW TO FIX A TROLLING MOTOR online and try taking it apart yourself. Afterall how difficult can it be??

This is the approach I sometimes take, although in saying that I will have to admit to purchasing a thing or two afterwards, mostly it works out in the end and I learn something in the process.

http://www.outboardrepairs.com/minn_kota/

http://www.outboardrepairs.com/topics/005616.html

Just a thought...

Cheers,

Jen

P.S Welcome to OFC

Good for you Jen. If you use caution it can be a money saver and a great learning experience. Sometimes however you can cause more harm than good. I learned that from attempting auto repair. I have to be selective in what I attempt and what I leave to the experts.

Dustinnnnnnnn,

If you have a voltmeter and can access the motor, check at the two wires where they enter the motor for DC voltage. At maximum speed you should have approx. 12V DC. If you are getting voltage, it's safe to assume the problem is with the motor and probably not worth repairing.

If you are not getting voltage than the problem is in your controls. If you can, trace back to where you are getting voltage. In most cases the control module is encased in silicone or epoxy.

PM me if you decide to troubleshoot it.

Good for you Jen. If you use caution it can be a money saver and a great learning experience. Sometimes however you can cause more harm than good. I learned that from attempting auto repair. I have to be selective in what I attempt and what I leave to the experts.

Dustinnnnnnnn,

If you have a voltmeter and can access the motor, check at the two wires where they enter the motor for DC voltage. At maximum speed you should have approx. 12V DC. If you are getting voltage, it's safe to assume the problem is with the motor and probably not worth repairing.

If you are not getting voltage than the problem is in your controls. If you can, trace back to where you are getting voltage. In most cases the control module is encased in silicone or epoxy.

PM me if you decide to troubleshoot it.

It really isn't about saving... more about learning...

Caution is always used, so is the digital camera to take pictures of the dis assembly along the way... this makes assembly much easier when you just can not recall where this or that went.

Good luck with the repairs... let us know how it works out!

Cheers,

Jen