A question for you Simcoe Smallie experts???

I went out to Simcoe last Saturday for a few hours until the winds came up and chased us off the lake anyways we fished off Thorah island and saw a lot of smallies I lost count of the number of fish I had follow my bait right to the boat before swimming off,I tried everything deep running cranks shallow runners,jerk baits,spinnerbaits of every colour various plastics I threw everthing at them and all I got was follows my first reaction was it must be the cold front just wondering what you Simcoe regulars thoughts are.

Thanks

Guest skeeter99

phoenix tube st226 i belive nicknamed "baby pooh" will get them all the time or find a 4 inch tube in the "army truck green" colour preferably with red fleck in it will also work good

when the simcoe smallies are doing that throw the tube out and slowly drag it back to the boat in contact with the bottom all the time

the big simcoe smallies IMO are the most boring to catch dragging around tubes all day (boring) but they are huge

the big ones are spooky all the time it seems, we watch them under the boat and sometimes they are afraid of the bloody tube

BORING,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Did you say BORING,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Oh brother.LOL

Lots of guys have them chase to the boat and turn.The water is so clear there and if you can see them they can see you/your image.

Tubes and more tubes.Sometimes real long casts with jerk baits.Long casts.Change up on the jerk retieve speed.

Boring,I,ll tell whats boring,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,catching all those fish on Erie,no time to eat,ya knowz I gots to eat at sometime.LOL

Simcoe,the next world record holder.

There is no single bait that gets them all the time. Not even live bait. Sometimes a slight change in presentation can trigger a bite. Other times, they are just curious and you will not ever catch one. I have experienced the same thing and tried the exact tube Skeeter99 is talking about (and about 30 others lol) and the simple fact was, those fish just weren't interested in eating. I've also found that I'm starting to catch more fish on other presentations on Simcoe. It used to be 90% tube, now it's about 50%.

I would go to a very (as in VERY as if you're having a seizure and your arms should feel like they're about to fall off) erratic retrieve with a jerkbait. You'll sometimes trigger one to bite that otherwise would keep flipping you the fin.

Brian, show me these spots on Erie where you don't even have time to eat... As you know, I don't eat on the boat, so that sounds like a perfect spot for me to practice my techniques! A solid 9 hours of catching 50-60 fish an hour. What could be finer? lol

Charles

Brian, show me these spots on Erie where you don't even have time to eat... As you know, I don't eat on the boat, so that sounds like a perfect spot for me to practice my techniques! A solid 9 hours of catching 50-60 fish an hour. What could be finer? lol

Charles, dont you watch those fishing shows on TV.They catch all day long.LOL

Thanks for the replies, I will keep trying, it is my mission this year to catch and release of course some Simcoe smallies, I am going to chalk this past experience up to the cold front affecting the mood of the fish and not neccesarily me doing something wrong at least thats what I am trying to convince myself the reason was.

Thanks very much, yes this how i would fish these smallies, while they swim away, I lead them with a long cast with a smoke slammer, usually they will bite, have your throw back rod ready, sudden movements and fumbling will usually spook them, they can be tough, but man its worth it when you hook those brutes! hope this helps, Mark.