Furnace and A/C Help needed...NF

tonyb

Part of the joys of buying an older house...I have to replace the non functioning A/C and furnace.

I have narrowed it down to 2 brands:

Amana

Carrier

Both systems are pretty much identical in specs, what brand is better quality?

Tony

I had a Carrier installed in my home 2 years ago Tony and have been extremely happy with it so far. The installers were on time and very efficient and fast in removing the old unit and putting in the new one.

It's quiet and works beautifully and I have no complaints or regrets whatsoever with the unit.

Don't know if that helps you much, but it's just my experience with Carrier sofar.

I thought so too Gerritt. I had 4 different quotes and would you believe they all came in at +/- $100!? and different brands too.

Bryant is also a Carrier by a different name, yet for the same price, I figured I might as well consider the Carrier.

Have you chosen an Installer? I might be able to save you some bucks as a buddy of mine is an installer for a massive outfit but does smaller jobs for pocket change on weekends etc..

Let me know,.

Gerritt

Yeah, the installers I have selected are all participating contractors with the cool savings rebate program. I had to let one contrator know he isn't going to get my business because he was not participating in that program. It's $800 in my pocket, I need to take advantage of any and all rebates ;)

Tony

I thought so too Gerritt. I had 4 different quotes and would you believe they all came in at +/- $100!? and different brands too.

Bryant is also a Carrier by a different name, yet for the same price, I figured I might as well consider the Carrier.

Tony

Carrier and Amana should not be 100 dollars apart. PM details of the systems you are looking at and I will give you my opinion. I can sell a Carrier variable speed system for 8500 installed with a 1000 dollar rebate - and I can sell the equivalent amana system for 6500 with all same accessories etc. Watch out for R E L I A * * * * - they are pirates.

PM if you want - I can help you go over things if you would like

Amana Furnace: AMV9 96% AFUE

Amana A/C: ASX14

Warranty: Lifetime replacement warranty on both products. So if the compressor or the heat exchanger die, they replace the whole furnace or A/C. 10years on all other parts

Carrier Furnace: 58MVB

Carrier A/C: 24APA5

Warranty: Lifetime heat exchanger warranty on furnace, 5 year on other parts. 10 year on A/C compressor, 5 year other parts.

I understand the Carrier should be more, but I am being offered a deal because it is friend of a friend.

I am probably going to go with Amana. Reason being the 1 company sells both and recommended Amana over Carrier. It's hard to trust any of the sheysters :lol:

Edited by tonyb

Tony

If you want the most bang for your buck, go with the Comfort 13 (ACA3) Central Air and the MVB furnace - will qualify you for the 350 carrier rebate, 650 from the OPA plus whatever the EcoEnergy rebate ie. You are spending alot more to go to the APA5 just to qualify for the extra 100 from the OPA. You didn't say what tonnage you are getting but in reality the savings are only a penny or so an hour between the 13 and 15 (the 13 qualifies for the OPA rebate as when matched with the variable speed it acheives 14SEER)

Amana is just a Goodman furnace that they have purchased the name rights to - also this is their first generation of variable speed furnaces - lots of bugs.

I would go with the contrctor you feel the most comfortable with.They will make the differance if there are issues down the road.A good service tech is worth his weight in gold.A poorly installed unit will haunt you no matter who makes it.For the most part I like Carrier stuff and Trane stuff but I haven't been in the HVAC sales for a long time.Good luck

Joe

I really like these gaurantees as well:

First year • $500 No Frustration Guarantee

If your furnace or air conditioner fails to heat or cool your home during the first year, we will fit it FREE including all parts and labour AND write you a cheque for your frustration and aggravation.

Second year • 2-Year 100% Money-Back Guarantee

We guarantee that the equipment we have installed will perform as we have stated. If the system does not heat or cool your home to your satisfaction, we will remove it and return your 100% of your investment.

Property Protection Guarantee

All property such as lawns, shrubbery, carpeting, floors, walls, furniture and door frames are protected. Damaged property will be replaced or repaired. Protective shoe covers and hall runners will be used in all work and traffic areas.

Fixed Right or It’s Free

We guarantee our repairs. If we can’t fix it right or you agree that it is not worth fixing, Reliance Home Comfort will credit you the cost of the service call towards the purchase of a new system from us.

Comfort Guarantee

We guarantee the system(s) we installed in your home will heat or cool your home as we stated. If the temperature range at the thermostat is not achieved as we promised, we will replace the system at no change.

No Lemons Guarantee

If the compressor in your air conditioner fails twice in the first five years, we will install a new outside unit. If the heat exchanger in your furnace fails in the first ten years, we will install a new furnace.

Energy Savings Guarantee

We guarantee that your home comfort system will save energy used to heat and cool your home. If after one year it does not, we will give you a cheque for double the difference.

Two Year Trial Guarantee

If, after two years, and for any reason, you decide that you do not like the system, we will remove it, and return your entire purchase price, plus interest.

$500 Installation Appointment Guarantee

If our installers do not arrive at your home within an hour of your scheduled installation appointment time, we will write a cheque to you for $500.

It's hard to trust any of the sheysters :lol:

I really have nothing vested so I would like to not think of myself as a sheyster but since you asked for an opinion from someone who knew, I thought I would add mine since this is what I do for a living.

You buy an Amana, you will regret it, regardless of all their gooblygook they are spewing. Ask for their price on the equivalent Carrier system then see how much they are entering you from the rear.

Just my .02

I can get either system listed there for the same price. As far as specs go, all the same with the exception of the less attractive Warranty from Carrier.

I'm not saying everyone is sheysters, but it is hard to get an honest opinion when everyone wants your business.

Contractor A selling Amana says theirs is the best, Contractor B selling Carrier says theirs is the best, etc.

Now you have me thinking Steve...I might go with Carrier...I always over analyze big purchases.

Edited by tonyb

I can get either system listed there for the same price. As far as specs go, all the same with the exception of the less attractive Warranty from Carrier.

I'm not saying everyone is sheysters, but it is hard to get an honest opinion when everyone wants your business.

Contractor A selling Amana says theirs is the best, Contractor B selling Carrier says theirs is the best, etc.

True, everyone says theirs is best. I am lucky, as an independent I can sell whatever I want except Lennox and Trane as they are same as Carrier and have a dealer network. I can sell the Amana product anytime I want and it is 20% less money than the Carrier. I choose not to because of the quality.

And there are alot of sheysters - if you want to avoid that, go with a smaller independent shop who has been in business for at least 15 years. They can give you some decent alternatives and not out only to get the sale.

Thanks guys. I think I am going to compare exact models/options between the 2 contractors and go with the best priced Carrier system. They both do quality installations so that part at least isn't a concern.

Tony

Just to give you an idea...

I paid 1500.00 for a brand new Payne Furnace (made by Carrier) in the same factory as Carrier using the same parts are Carrier, very similar warranties as well...

And that was installed w/ a new chimney Liner... (I was quoted 400.00 for that alone from another contractor till I talked to my bud)

1500.00 is a decent savings!

He offered to install a new 1.5 tonne A/C unit as well for something like 2400.00 total bill price including the Furnace... But my A/C is just fine..

Although in the end you may not get your Government rebates etc... you still spending a TON less cash!

Just something to think about!

Gerritt.

Edited by Gerritt

I work in the HVAC field for a local company, and I install a lot of Lennox, or Bryant units, I put a lennox in at my dads place, because that is what I trust for him. Either of those are great units. Another thing to look at is the contractor. Is he fly by night guy or a guy thats been in business for years. Check and see whether his quote, takes into account a new plenum or any tin they may need to put in or cut out. Are you getting a high or mid efficiency furnace? If you have any questions about things, let me know!

Denis

Edited by Tinman