First open water report of '07

LesCulpJr

Sorry I don't get on here much everyone. But I do stop in from time to time.

Here is a report I hope you all enjoy!

Les

I jus been give'in er too hard this year I guess and maybe even just a little fished out from all the ice action this past winter as this week would only be my fifth time out on the water this season. A big change for me as I am usually on water at least 3 if not 4 times a week this time of year normally :D Sometimes it seems, the older I get, the easier it is to get caught up in the rush of everyday life. Cut the grass, go to work , pay the bills and don't forget being so retarded as accepting the odd overtime shift as if you already don't have enough to do :rolleyes: , makes it really hard to relax and enjoy a day on the water.

The Bass opener had come and gone as I lie awake in bed early monday morning after a long weekend at work. And while my stratos sits patiently in the garage awaiting our first foray into a weed choked bay full of our favourite fish, my mind can't help but wander back to a time in my childhood where I would share a canoe with my father, usually accompanied by a close friend or family. Where it was my place to sit in the middle of the canoe trying to get a cast in edgewise in hopes of hooking one of the speckled red and blue haloed beauties, that call home, the small lakes and ponds that surround Algonquin Park.

For me, there is quite possibly nothing so nostalgic in this world, as trout fishing.

mag1.jpg

Excited as I was, I had made one rule for myself come Tuesday morning, NO RUSHING. Pretty hard being that I haven't caught a Brook Trout in quite a few years and I had been iching to get a new float tube wet that my kids had got me for fathers day.

With the kids off to their last day of school and gear loaded I started my slow and deliberate trip back towards the park. A beautiful day for a change, though a little on the warm side, those who go fishing with me know all to well that it usually rains whenever we plan a trip out for the day. A curse I have had for as long as I can remember, but one I don't let on about for obvious reasons. It could be a beautiful day with out a cloud in the sky, but at some point, it will rain long enough for you to be soaked to the ass and then clear again :D Just ask anyone!

And so goes the journey....

As I make my way up the access road I start to think of a time a few years ago, where a friend and I were probing the pools of a small river for Brookies. We had just bought our first pair of neoprene waders and were exploring areas we had never seen before and places many never will.

As I slow down on a peticular bend in the road I am looking for an old trail that goes back to a water fall where I remember taking a photo of a woodcock on her nest in the long grass. It was then and there I had fallen in love with photography, but like many hobbies I have niether the time nor the patience to pursue actively, however as I looked up the road something caught my eye, that I had never witnessed before.

A snapping turle laying eggs on the side of the road. After a couple shots I left quickly as to not disturb her.

turtle1.jpg

turtle2.jpg

I took a left heading north of the access road shortly after as it was getting late and I still had a fair walk ahead of me, but what I thought would have been a 40min walk turned out to only be 20. I figure all the deer flies must have carried me part way.

I reach the log jam at the end of the lake and then remember I had packed the bug spray :rolleyes: bye bye, deer fly.

P6260004.jpg

Time to go

P6260005.jpg

The water on my little lake is crystal clear and with the high blue bird skies, it was going to be a tough bite to say the least. No matter, I wasn't here for the catching so much as the peace and quiet anyway. Four Ospray have made this lake home for nesting. Their cries along with the soft laping sound of the water made for an almost too relaxing atmosphere as on more than one occasion I found myself dosing off in the tube :D I had thought about getting out on a smooth rock point to have a snooze but I had much more of this lake to see and I was a little afraid of sleeping too long to get out of the bush before dark. An over night trip may be in order before the summer is out.

A parting shot of the launch:

P6260010.jpg

A shot off the port bow:

P6260006.jpg

Paddling a float tube around takes some getting used to, but is the ultimate in portability. I was able to make it around the entire lake in about three hours before the wind came up and made it a little harder to stay on course and fish at the same time. I couldn't get mine going quite fast enough to troll though so I stuck to casting small spinners and spoons. I had brought the fly rod along as well but suck at casting on a good day standing up. Casting from a tube presents a whole other ball of wax! The best I could do was about 30 feet.

I'll get the hang of it one day.

It was time to pack up and get out of the water for a while. I hadn't seen any sign of fish all day and wanted to hit a splake lake a friend and I had fished in the winter, another lake with supper clear water I hadn't been on in the open water. Upon arriving at the lake I was surprised to find a couple of really shallow areas I was glad my friend never found with his new auger! At one point you can almost walk across the entire length but has steep drop offs on either side. Hmmmm.... Good spot to fish???? Later I thought, I want to make it to the end of the lake.

Again most of the time at this lake was uneventful save for a whole bunch of perch flying out to grab my spinner, but was in good company

as most of my stay there I was surrounded by six Loons.

P6260018.jpg

Sorry for the quality on this one as he was a ways out and moving fast!

I'm getting a little more serious now, and have yet to see or feel anything that resembles a trout , or a splake in this case. I had been pulling lures off deep edges all day with out a hit, it was time to head to the middle of the lake and see what I could find. Areas where deep water comes close to shore and such. Just like bass fishing ;)

After tying on a small spoon I headed out deep and with the first cast I let it flutter all the way to the bottom. There, two solid thumps, set the hook! I was day dreaming again though and the fish came unbuttoned after a short fight. I had thought I had solved the puzzle until after a few dozen more casts came up empty. I had then remembered the long shoal forming a saddle across the middle of the lake and headed over that way. When I arrived I cast the spoon as far as I could and let it flutter to the bottom in about 30 fow. I find there is sand grass carpeting the bottom in this area, bright green in color and there is perch here as well. Just as I start a pumping retrieve with my spoon BAM!

Fish ON!

This is where I find out how awkard it is to fight a fish in a tube :D With light rod and line I should have lost this fish at several points, but finally ended up getting that skunk smell out of the tube :D

P6260011.jpg

and a 1/2 hour later:

P6260012.jpg

WOOHOO, what a day! Happy and tuckered from all the paddleing I did , I decide at this point its time to go. Only about a mile back down the lake ;D I two time it back to the launch realizing I had perhaps over done it abit and with legs cramping up, my mind once again drifts off back to a time A friend and I ......

Well ......, :D thats another story

Thanx for reading

Edited by LesCulpJr

ah.........shouldnt you be BASS FISHING?????

LOL :clapping: Yes I should. And don't worry Brian, that tube can float my butt in less that six inches of water. :rolleyes: Just wait till I try'er out in some of the secret bass lakes around here!

Thanx for reading all!