Nungesser Lake or Little Vermillion

mj2112

I have been checking out sportsman lodge sportsman lodge and anglers kingdom anglers for my next years trip. I want sportsman but they do not cook meals anymore so I was thinking about angler's kingdom instead. Has anyone ever fished that Nungesser lake? I know that Sportsman Lodge is where those monster pike were caught by Mepps and Jon but I don't want to haul food plus cook when I have my son going with me. I'll never get to fish if that happens.

Any suggestions on how the hell I get there from Pittsburgh besides driving all of the way. Should I fly into Winnipeg or international falls? Rent a car at one of those airports, or connect to Red Lake?

Sorry about all of the questions, I just have no idea about that part of Canada and was looking for some advice, hints, or do's and don'ts.

Thanks for any help.

Well your going to get some responses to this thread both good and bad.

From Pittsburg you can get to both places by flight via Winnepeg then either drive to Red Lake area or do another puddle jumper flight. Myself I would make the drive, talked to a fellow that did the flight thing and his buddies beat him home one year.

My vote would be LV trip but because you want someone else to cook that narrows it down to Nungesser. Again myself I would rather be involved in fixing my meals and normally eat walleye every night except one and don't find the packing in food for the trip is that big of a deal, heck I would almost bet Brett at Sportsman's would fill your grocery order and have it waiting for you when you got there.

I did the LV trip about a month ago (20hour drive from Dayton Ohio) and guarentee that I will return, can't comment on the Nungesser but I've heard the fishing is just as good there, but I'm sure some one will chime in here and give you the what for.

To me you have picked two fine places to choose from.

Good Luck in your choice

Whopper

Edited by Whopper

I'm flying to Winnipeg then driving to Red Lake. I looked into flying from the Peg to RL, but that flight was almost as much as the Toronto - Winnipeg leg. The drive should take about 4 hours, and will save about $2000 for the four of us. The minivan rental from Sunday morn til Friday eve runs around $600.

Hey Moosebunk, OCM listed Kesagami as #1 for pike beause they didnt get to fish Little Vermillion.

I have been to LV in 2005 and 2007 - I 'd go again right now if I had the omney in my pocket - no doubt about it.

WE have built up some pretty impresive photos and info on LV (info) (gallery)

Edited by mepps

If you don't want to cook you are probably looking at an american plan camp and I've got a dandy for you.

Just up the road from nungessor lake is stormer lake lodge. the do the american plan and for shore lunch all the boats meet at a cook out location and the guides cook the fish and the salads and potatos are brought out to the site by the camp staff .

Stormer Lake has a connecting lake called kirkness and I've guided for this camp for 5 years when the need extra guides for large corporate groups that they get.

It is the highlight of my year when I go there. the walleye are numerous and big and the pike are huge.

if you can't catch a fish in these waters, you were never meant to fish.

Google Stormer Lake Lodge and check out the web site. It is truly a great camp, with good equipment. the boats are 17' lund outfitters with 40hp honda motors and equipped with depth finders and electric trolling motors.

In my opinion it puts most camps to shame.

The meals are great and the owners are super people.

And no i don't get a kick back for recommending it, it is just that I'm very impressed with the operation and the fishing on this lake system.

Been doing the midnight shift so I'm kinda late with this reply.

Stormer and Kirkness lakes hold some amazing pike. each year at the camp the owners have a list of the "trophy" walleye and pike on the bar counter top and you add your catches to the list. The walleye size is 26" and the pike is 36" to qualify. There are usually 50-75 names on the list by the end of the year and the person who nails the largest wins a free trip the following year.

Pike in the 25-42 in range are quite common if you know how and where to get them. Get a guide for your trip and you will not be disappointed. The guides that work there are on the lake everyday and know where the fish are.