I'm in the 40" Club

Dutch

Headed out to the "O" for some dam shore fishing tonight - glad I did.

Second cast of the night hooked up with a pretty thick (not one of those Kawartha eels) muskie. Hooked right in the dam wash, heck of a fight with the current coming through, glad I had the wire leader and 50# PP on. At one point all I could do was watch the line coming off the drag. After a run out with the flow, it was back towards one of the outflows and it just sat in the wash coming over, my line on or near the concrete the whole time. I thought it was over, but I managed to horse it out.

Now one more problem - I'm standing on a concrete ledge about 6' above the water - how am I going to land this thing? I let out a bunch of line, up and around and down a steep trail, down the bank towards the river and wade in. I thought it was ready to come in, couldn't have been more wrong - 3 more runs as it came close to shore. Next - how was I going to grab this thing? My hand wouldn't fit around the tail, or behind it's head. Put rod down, grab tail and gill plate at the same time and it was landed!

Quick measure using the rod length (a solid 40 3/4", thick fish), pop out the treble (Vibrax muskie buck) and about a 4 minute revive and off it went....Out of the water for maybe 4 seconds total.

Sorry no [iNSERT EXPLETIVE HERE] picture, didn't think I would need the camera. Not sure how I would have got one anyway, but nonetheless it would have been nice....

Fishing Lower Buckhorn on Friday, will make sure I take the camera.

Nicely done, I think I know the spot you are referring to, definately would make for a challenging catch/release. From now on I figure I will always try and bring my camera.......you never know where those monsters might be lurking!

Edited by Weeds

What a great report! Must have had your heart pounding the whole time!!! Bly and I have a theory about nets and cameras....if you have everything you need to land fish, you'll catch big ones...LOL. Looks like it held true for you as well...haha. :lol: