Simcoe Fishing

DanD

My last kick at the can. Woke up this morning in the hut; punched out the shim of ice from yesterday’s holes and dropped down my lines. First perch was a 4 inch dink;  my minnow was at least 2 inches. LOL The next fish was a decent 11 inch but since then nothing; not even a twitch on the lines?  Breakfast time back beacon and eggs; on a burger bun, forgot the bread at home. Not much of a report but it is from 3 miles out on the ice from Beaverton. 

Dan. 

Used to do overnighters in Floyd Hales huts out of Beaverton. My best memories are of being in the hut when the sun came up. It's just so peaceful out there that time of the day.  Went for the fishing but the whole experience almost made the fishing secondary. Enjoy your day and good luck at getting into a nice feed of perch.

Well I got my limit of Cisco (2) and 10 more nice sized perch. Must have thrown back at least a hundred small guys. Fun catching and a good sign for the future of the perch fishing here. 

Dan

I’m still out here now, about ready to crawl into the sleeping bag. Don’t know how to post a pic from my phone; but just before dark I landed a 12 inch perch. Put my lines back down but not even a touch after it got dark. Put the covers on over the holes; poured myself a goodnight rusty nail and then going to curl up in the sleeping bag. 

Dan. 

Not to make light of the other thread about lake Simcoe not being safe. No it may not be for everyone; but using common sense and watching out for everything and anything it’s still not as bad as that news segment makes it out to be. I may have to eat these words after trying to get the hut off tomorrow but I’m not going to regret my last four days out here fishing

7DB8D910-ADA1-4A1A-919E-F31A75AD6AD0.jpeg

Moved the hut today; to on the other side of the pressure crack. Man that thing (pressure crack) changes by the minute. Where we worked to build an ice bridge across it was gone 4 hours later with a 1 foot wall that pushed up. Found another place to cross; but it was a bit scratchy; so it was put the throttle to the pin and just giver. LOL Made it across with only a few things thrown around the hut. The bottle of Gibson’s survived.d

Edited by DanD

Well we pulled the hut yesterday; it wasn't real bad getting it off, just the shore was a bit sketchy. Went to the North side of Beaverton harbor; as per Justin's advice. He runs the bait shop, on the Harbor Park Cresent,  right on the channel. Anyone going out of Beaverton needs to befriend him; he knows the lake and he has to be the most generous person I have ever met!!!  The quad did get a work out, pulling the hut through the soft snow and slush; but between the power this old machine has and the 4 wheel chains; it pulled us through onto the beach sand. It was a great season for me, didn't catch a lot of perch; but had a great time out there, with my friends and family. The ice out at the perch grounds is still at least 20+ inches; but getting on and off the ice, is becoming a bit dangerous. If you decide to go out; walking would be your best bet. The weight of the machines as good as they are (sled or quad) is a bit heavy for the shoreline conditions; I had yesterday. We were lucky to find our way off and that was due to my brother in-law testing the conditions before we attempted our to the pin throttle of the quad. 

Dan.