Dunnville fishing closure

John Bacon

I have read that there are no fishing signs up at Dunnville. I have never fished there myself, but it seems to be a popular spot.

I am not familiar with the spot. From what I have read, there is public access within about 25 years of the dam, and private property downstream from there. Perhaps the MNR is just enforcing the laws about fishing downstream from an obstruction.

The only public access to the river at Dunnville is on the bridge. All sides are privately owned, one a condo parking lot and the other is the Grand River BBQ and marina. Upstream is private property also, one is a water plant and on the south side is a private residence. I knew it would happen because idiots leave a mess. I see folks leaning over the railing to their waists holding rods. Maybe the bridge is closed for public safety. Down stream is all private property or Gov. owned up until the nice park and ramp at Pt. Maitland. Most of the Grand is private property, there are a few public parks to fish from or wade the river. Other than some big Cats in spring it's not a hot spot river in my opinion.

Where did you hear this John?

I believe the MNR was going to be monitoring fishing regulations around the dams on the Grand more this year. I heard Caledonia specifically, but I guess it probably also applies to Dunnville, Wilkes, and maybe Paris. Watching out for violations such as fishing below fish ladders and obstructions. I would guess that these signs would have something to do with that.

They could make a good bit of money at Caledonia during the fall run.

Haven't fished the area for a long long time...used to go to Port Maitland as a youngster fishing for Sheepshead/drums. Used bobber and worms.

Curious if people still fish on the long pier.

They built a new pier and boat launch about 15 years ago as well did some work around the park, a nice spot for shore fisherman, many still fish there.

The only public access to the river at Dunnville is on the bridge. All sides are privately owned, one a condo parking lot and the other is the Grand River BBQ and marina. Upstream is private property also, one is a water plant and on the south side is a private residence. I knew it would happen because idiots leave a mess. I see folks leaning over the railing to their waists holding rods. Maybe the bridge is closed for public safety. Down stream is all private property or Gov. owned up until the nice park and ramp at Pt. Maitland. Most of the Grand is private property, there are a few public parks to fish from or wade the river. Other than some big Cats in spring it's not a hot spot river in my opinion.

Where did you hear this John?

It was posted on TUFA's FaceBook page.

The poster seemed to think the town had created a by-law. But, from the descriptions that I have read; it sounds more like the MNR enforcing the no fishing downstream of an obstruction laws.