Georgian Bay Fishing Camp: any stories?

singingdog

First post here. Yes, Fisherman and akashag and I had some good times up there. That old steel boat took some serious beatings on the Ottawa River. Also fished it for years in Georgian Bay in the Meaford Owen Sound area. In 1998 my wife and I went on a "retreat" to GBFC. Dave picked us up at Key River. We got to the camp and he pointed us to our cabin. Upon entering the cabin it was filled with "stuff". There were two single assembled crappy beds. Staff came to take the junk out and assemble the beds. Apparently there were no other cabins available. We but the two beds together and got a fire going in the woodstove. During the night we dealt with mice and cold. My wife was NOT impressed. During the entire week we were there staff were conducted repairs to the docks with chainsaws and skill saws and hammering all day. To add insult to injury Dave charged me several hundred dollars more than he had quoted me. I argued about the terrible shack we were in and the fact I had helped his guys out a few times and I was a return customer, but to no avail. My menu had included at least one fish fry which never did occur. Needless to say that was the last time I went to that crap hole. Lesson learned was it's not the same going there with buddies and drinking our faces off than going there with your wife. That's all I got to say bout that!!!

Visited GBFC throughout the nineties, usually a spring and a summer trip. Big Dave was a great host. As mentioned not the best location to take the spouse: central showers, cleanliness and boardwalk always needed improving but a good guys trip. on more than one occasion put my foot through a decayed walkway board. Loved the pick up and ride in from the Key river through the narrow passageway at high speed. Monster pike in the spring still fishing with live sucker minnows. Found Walleye in the outer bays narrow always good especially in the evening. Loved the steel hull boats. Dave used to say there's no way you're not going to hit a rock - he was right. Can't remember the lady's name at the lodge. Doris or Dorothy? She would cook up the walleye.

Found out of the demise of the camp through a vendor at the sportsman show. All he said was that circumstances to the decline was a sad story.

Fond memories an good times I will always cherish.

• 1 month later...

My wife & I stayed there for a few days in 2010.  I did some paintings and enjoyed dinners nightly with Dave.  We were the only guests at the time which was a little worrisome.  Anyway we had a good time. Can anyone tell me how to find it on a map ?  i.e. the name of the island /island group or lat and long.  We were picked up in Britt and it was a confusing ride of many islands.... I see that Dave passed away and the place is closed and in decay. SAD----would like to have gone back.....spectacular scenery.....thanks for any help ---- bruce from Washington State  [email protected] 

Edited by Bruce B
addition

Really hard to give directions to the island. Don’t know the coordinates. We made the trip soo many times out of the key river that we knew the route really good. Although could be a rough ride in the open bay. We used to fish a bay we called Pete’s bay that was really close to camp. Also right across from camp we fished old timers bay. And fox bay wasn’t too far from camp. These bays are on the map of the area

Thanks so much !! -- found it on Google Maps - satellite view.  You can see the buildings ( fuzzy ).  Looks like it is just west of the Outer Fox Islands very near a circular island = Dock Island.  We had the southern most cabin as Dave said that was the best for artists.  He pointed out the Bustard Rocks in the distance. He cooked steaks each night for us & him and I didn't complain !  In retrospect he was probably disappointed that we didn't rent a boat but a fisherman pulled in one day to get fuel and he gave me nice water tour for a couple hours including a beer with his son and wife at their cabin nearby.  That fellow comes each year from England for a month.  It looks like quite a distance from Britt but I guess there is no road into Key Harbor so maybe that is why guests without their own boats are picked at Britt.  Like others I wish it was still up and going.  His wife gave us a ride out and told me that Dave loved the place and would probably die there.....  perhaps he did.  : (  He told me that he had to put a $30, 000 septic system by regulations and that was a big blow to finances....... We are planning to come back to somewhere around Georgian Bay in September 2023.....hard to find a resort / camp like that one though that is out in the bay(  instead at the edge ).  I love that landscape -- it is unique......

IMG_0092.JPG

Edited by Bruce B
delete duplicate picture + spelling

It definitely is a beautiful area we fell in love with it. I guess that’s a big reason we returned every year for soo many years. We had a group of six guys that made the trip all family. Now there’s only two of us left soo that camp has some very fond memories for me. Really was the best week of the year for all six of us. 

Ur coordinates are spot on. Right in the lower south French Delta.  It’s a fast ride out from the key if you take the narrow high speed passage. Lol.  The water was really low last summer and those 2 rocks you fly by were poking out of the water. Safer to stay in the channel for the extra 10mins. What a great spot. I stop by every year still for a look. I have a place up the Henvey.  It’s a nice little boat ride to check out the old camp. The place needs a miricale to make it go again. Would be amazing. Great memories for sure. The monopoly board in the dining room is still set up from the last game that was played there. Amazing. Here’s a couple shots from this year.  

90DBECA9-7B6B-4875-A5F8-23566E0A37F5.jpeg

6479A23F-BE4F-486A-95BC-710F59CB14CD.jpeg

Thanks so much for the photos, brings back memories. I agree it would be lovely if someone would clear out all the old buildings, walkways & stuff. Take it down to dirt, vegetation and stone.  Then build a new similar Camp, modest so they average guys could afford a few days but modern and comfortable. I would book a stay for sure : ).  I wonder if the property is for sale and if there are some legacy environmental cleanup issues -- discarded chemicals, oil, fuels....etc ? That could get real expensive to remediate......  Yup, I think  you said it --- a miracle !  ( unfortunately )........  Here is a shot from our stay in  2010 -- happier days but you could still tell it wasn't getting the maintenance it needed......

Website 13.jpg

Always did well there fishing in the ninety's. PB pike 45" and no shortage of walleye  - they loved floating rapalas in the evening. Have not fished the area since our multiple trips back then.

Any fishing reports from the general area? wondering if it's worth a venture.

Thanks.

Thanks for the reply BillM. Fishing for me the last 25 years has been almost exclusively on Nipissing - just love that lake. But suddenly  I really have an urge to relive the great times and locations 

of the past. Been retired 2 years now and with time at hand, it's amazing how the mind can transport you with great detail and clarity to old milestones and events. 

5 hours ago, ripnjig said:

Thanks for the reply BillM. Fishing for me the last 25 years has been almost exclusively on Nipissing - just love that lake. But suddenly  I really have an urge to relive the great times and locations 

of the past. Been retired 2 years now and with time at hand, it's amazing how the mind can transport you with great detail and clarity to old milestones and events. 

No prob.  I spend some time on Nipissing in Sept chasing big toothy critters.  Love that lake as well.