UPDATE/REPAIR: ASKING FOR AN OFC FAVOUR?? NF

Pikeslayer

Does anyone have a service manual for a '91 Mercury 115 2 stroke & able to scan to pdf the section relative to the trim unit??

The trim is compromised & after considerable research via iBoats & YouTube, I've isolated the root cause to the trim motor which controls the hydraulics. I need to remove the TM & check the armature & magnetic brakes for carbon build & clean accordingly. The TM & hydraulics unit are wedged between the motor mounting brackets & the SB bracket requires removal to access the motor.

Mechanically, I can visualize how this process will work but would be more comfortable having schematics to confirm. Particularly with the disassembly of the TM unit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated & I'd be happy to return favours in kind.

Pls & Thx

Edited by pikeslayer

I just sent CJ an email, he should be able to get it, not sure if he is working tomorrow, if not, it might be Monday. I'll let you know as soon as I hear back from him.

THX Cliff :) The women should coordinate a visit soon ;) Assuming I get this sorted out, a LO fish is in order as well.

Pikeslayer, I can't help with the manual, but I had to do pretty much a similar job on my 1987 90 HP Merc. about 10 years ago. My buddy had a boom for the PTO on his tractor. We were able to rig an eye bolt to the top of the motor, unbolt it from the transom, and lift the engine a few inches to gain clearance for removal of the trim motor. I then took it to a friend in Hamilton that had a starter and alternator shop. He cleaned it all up, put in new brushes, and it worked like new.

At the time, I was told that parts for this particular system were no longer available.

Good luck with yours!

OK, CJ phoned, he is working today and will try to assemble the information you need. Watch your email for further follow up but it might be a day or two.

As for a G2G, any time my friend, our door is always open for you and yours! :)

OK, CJ phoned, he is working today and will try to assemble the information you need. Watch your email for further follow up but it might be a day or two.

As for a G2G, any time my friend, our door is always open for you and yours! :)

Awesome!! Thank CJ for me please. No hurry here Cliff, we're not tackling this until next weekend. I'll ask M to call S & arrange a date.

Pikeslayer, I can't help with the manual, but I had to do pretty much a similar job on my 1987 90 HP Merc. about 10 years ago. My buddy had a boom for the PTO on his tractor. We were able to rig an eye bolt to the top of the motor, unbolt it from the transom, and lift the engine a few inches to gain clearance for removal of the trim motor. I then took it to a friend in Hamilton that had a starter and alternator shop. He cleaned it all up, put in new brushes, and it worked like new.

At the time, I was told that parts for this particular system were no longer available.

Good luck with yours!

Do you hear the trim motor working? Is there a trim button on the motor itself or just an auxiliary toggle in/on the cockpit contols?

Josh

Same thing happened to a pals 92 Merc. Told it was the tilt/trim motor and was ready to pull the motor off the transom. One of the old timers (older than 63) came by and long story short turned out it was only the solenoid.

Thx guys, I appreciate the anecdotes. I won't need to lift/remove the Merc but I will be using a hoist to support the weight/position when we remove the SB bracket. The entire trim assembly will actually stay attached to the port side bracket & we'll be able to acces & remove the TM.

As for potentially faulty solenoiids or trim switch, I was able to eliminate those by following the process in this video:

https://youtu.be/woVT4czk6ao

BTW, if you've never come across the Dangar YouTube channel, you may want to bookmark it. This guy has lots of informative & logical repair videos & a huge # of follows.

The TM removal on the Johnson OB in this video was easily accessible but Merc design has the bracket castings actually 'wrapping' around the assembly.

Thx again. I'll post an update when the job is complete.

• 2 weeks later...

07/21

With thx to Big Cliff for having his son come through with schematics, we managed to complete the R&R today :)

We followed the exact process (with 2 exceptions)here @

and found the same root cause. Extreme carbon build up (25 yrs worth) on armature, brushes & springs. Two of four brush/spring assemblies were seized.

Exceptions:

1. The entire tilt assembly was entirely recessed within both mounting brackets. We incorporated a hoist to support the Merc & removed the SB mounting bracket. Once done, the tilt motor was easily accessed & removed.

2. When mounting the TM back on to the hydraulic assembly, the only way to seat the unit flush was to remove the armature from the housing and then fit the housing over top. A bit of a challenge with recessing four brakes but we managed.

Remounting the TM was the only hiccup & added about 30 minutes to a projected time line of 3-3.5 hrs. If we had to do it again, I'm confident we could manage the repair in substantially less than 3 hours.

All in all, we (brother & SIL) were really excited with the results. WE HAVE LIFT OFF!!!