Lake Temagami Long Weekend

DJGeneral

Hey Guys going up to Lake Temagami for the long weekend with the family, we'll be staying at Finlayson Point I was wondering if I can get any tips or pointers on catching walleye or pike from shore as we don't have a boat and I cant fit all the kids in a canoe! Panfish keeps them busy but id like to give them a little excitement its our first time going up there so I don't know what to expect! I figured maybe at night id might be lucky to hook into a walleye but really would want the kids to catch one during the day! Any tips or pointers would be great!

Best strategy for catching walleye during the day on Temagami is to be REALLY LUCKY.

But on a more serious note, if you want to target walleye, make sure you're out there between 7-9:30. When the sun hits the horizon, you'll have the best shot at hooking into one. Simple worm or leech presentation should do the trick.

For some reason pike seems to only thrive in the southern areas of the lake (from which you're like 2 hours away).

Best bet is bass. Cast into any structure, docks, etc and you'll get some for sure. Get yourself a paddleboat and you're golden.

Edited by Sterling

Thanks Buddy!

Ill be sure to post my results up!

Ps Do the bait shops carry minnows? or am I better off buying them in Toronto?

Buy them from Gramp's place https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Gramp's+Place/@46.9187376,-79.7500101,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x6a71363695238f8a?sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjaj63i5tTUAhUBzIMKHaYIA_oQ_BIIdzAK

We have caught some pretty nice smallies from the dock at finlayson when my oldest was a little fella. Rig a slip float. We used to sit on the docks in the early evening and cast as far out as we could with a fat night crawler on the hook. To date his biggest smallmouth came right off the dock, and I had a boat there too LOL! Have fun!

Edited by porkpie

Thanks for the replies and tips guys, ill be sure to post how the trip went!

Joeytier nothing personal but Im determined to prove you wrong about the walleye thing lol!!

Tight lines guys hope you guys are fishing today! Im stuck at the office :(

Tips... if you are tenting, go to CTC and buy some of the large mouse sticky trays to put across your door opening. Tent caterpillars are like a Hitchcock movie right now. The park is a moving... They are starting to cocoon though as of the last few days, so it's starting to get better.

If you stand right at the very ends of the "break wall" docks to the main park marina (boat ramp one), there is a hump that comes up to about 6 feet approximately 60 feet out from the docks. Weight and a float for the cast, but a possible spot for you. That and right along the cliff wall by the old museum that is now a rentable cabin. It's 32 feet deep along the rock wall, so if the kids are small make sure they're tied to a tree or wearing a PFD.

I've caught my largest summer 'eyes in Portage Bay by simply casting off my dock around 7pm. I'm directly across from site #11.

If you did want to take them out in a boat, you can rent a power boat from Lakeland Airways 705-569-3455, Leisure Island Houseboats 705-569-3261 or Doug Gear on Campfire Island right beside the park 705-569-4321. You can tell any of them Wayne sent you.. some may charge you less.. some more! LOL

Edited by irishfield

Tips... if you are tenting, go to CTC and buy some of the large mouse sticky trays to put across your door opening. Tent caterpillars are like a Hitchcock movie right now. The park is a moving... They are starting to cocoon though as of the last few days, so it's starting to get better.

If you stand right at the very ends of the "break wall" docks to the main park marina (boat ramp one), there is a hump that comes up to about 6 feet approximately 60 feet out from the docks. Weight and a float for the cast, but a possible spot for you. That and right along the cliff wall by the old museum that is now a rentable cabin. It's 32 feet deep along the rock wall, so if the kids are small make sure they're tied to a tree or wearing a PFD.

I've caught my largest summer 'eyes in Portage Bay by simply casting off my dock around 7pm. I'm directly across from site #11.

If you did want to take them out in a boat, you can rent a power boat from Lakeland Airways 705-569-3455, Leisure Island Houseboats 705-569-3261 or Doug Gear on Campfire Island right beside the park 705-569-4321. You can tell any of them Wayne sent you.. some may charge you less.. some more! LOL

Thanks alot irishfield!! ill definitely gives those spots a try! if you see a red bobber in the water at night that would be me! LOL

i shall let you know how i do!

Thanks again bro!

• 1 month later...

I Know im kinda late on my report but I had a few family issues that kept me away from work and my laptop

It was a great weekend me and the family had a blast We caught a lot of smallmouth ranging from 2-4 lbs.

and I not to mention a slot size walleye from the DOCK!

Thanks to everyone on the forum who gave me advise! Hopefully I Can locate the pictures!