Trout Lake, North Bay, 2017

Sterling

Anyone make it out this year? Opened last Saturday and will be closing Friday!

Haven't made it out, due to busted motor and everything, but will try to make it Friday.

Thats a VERY short season, for what ever reason. :dunno:

Couldn't resist Brian - had to check: it really does say 3rd saturday in june to friday before 4th saturday in june, limit 1 salmon/trout under 21.7 inches, along with being a sanctuary may 15 - july 31. That has to be about the weirdest reg I've ever read. Wonder what the science behind it is?

Michael

Couldn't resist Brian - had to check: it really does say 3rd saturday in june to friday before 4th saturday in june, limit 1 salmon/trout under 21.7 inches, along with being a sanctuary may 15 - july 31. That has to be about the weirdest reg I've ever read. Wonder what the science behind it is?

Michael

This is correct.

Some 50 years ago a train derailed near the lake and polluted the river where trout spawn (four mile creek). The lake was closed entirely and pollution levels have been monitored since. Once contaminant levels returned to reasonable concentrations, trout were re-introduced but the population was so fragile that the MNR kept the lake closed out of fear of wiping the trout out once again. At some point they decided to open the lake for 1 week of the year to give anglers a chance at catching the monsters of trout lake. Fun fact, you have a pretty slim chance of getting a keeper there, since most fish are big and not bothered by angling pressure. Last year someone pulled a 39in monster from the lake and quickly released it https://www.baytoday.ca/local-news/local-man-cathes-huge-fish-331369.

Funner fact, Atlantic Salmon got into the lake somehow and do reproduce naturally. This is the only place in Ontario, aside from the great lakes, where you can catch land-locked salmon.

The end.

Edited by Sterling

The lake trout were never close to being wiped out, and the atlantics were introduced back in the 30's or 40's (I believe). Not sure why they are so insistent on protecting a non-native introduced species that doesnt seem to be doing overly well in the first place. Trout lake is chalk full of lakers with some incredible trophy potential due to the smelt abundance in the lake. They should keep the slot restrictive and give people a little more of a season to enjoy such a cool local fishery.

The lake trout were never close to being wiped out, and the atlantics were introduced back in the 30's or 40's (I believe). Not sure why they are so insistent on protecting a non-native introduced species that doesnt seem to be doing overly well in the first place. Trout lake is chalk full of lakers with some incredible trophy potential due to the smelt abundance in the lake. They should keep the slot restrictive and give people a little more of a season to enjoy such a cool local fishery.

Right - it was the spawning that was disrupted completely, not the existing population. My bad.

Right - it was the spawning that was disrupted completely, not the existing population. My bad.

Well, I don't think the lake trout were overly affected by that spill, mainly the atlantics since 4 mile creek is the primary spawning ground and 'nursery' for the lake. I could be wrong about that though.