severn falls pike opener

Slimbo85

howdy

was just wondering if anyone has some pointers on where i should be starting off? just purchased my first boat and cant wait to get it in the water for pike opener.

i heard buckskin island is a good place to start, hopefully i dont end up like this guy http://barrie.ctvnews.ca/boat-crash-on-buckskin-island-1.1995732

cheers

Justin

If you don't have a map chip then spend some time on the navionics site and get a feel for the contours. Print a map and highlight the areas that look good. The usual stuff, back bays, points, early weeds, saddles. I'd concentrate on water 12ft and less and personally wouldn't fish 12ft deep but run a bait 6-8 down at most. Maybe troll some spots to cover water and get a feel for things. I still troll in spring in spots for pike. In part to take a break from standing/casting, travel from one spot to another and eat. There have been a few threads here on pike lures as well as many others sources. I like the largest husky jerk for trolling and a x-rap for casting (it's a bit heavier and easier to cast with pike gear). Spoons and spinners are classics and plastic trailers add some action and "lift" to help with the slower speeds you usually want early in the season.

I don't know names of any of the islands up there, but when I used to fish severn falls area we would launch at the marina and hang a left to go under the train bridge. There are countless weedy bays off the main channel...some quite small (half an acre?) and some quite large (10-20 acres). I would suggest trolling along the north shore (or at least what I am picturing to be north), and every time you see one of these bays pop into it and fan cast. There are more of these than you could fish in a day. When I lived up that way Severn Falls was usually my first fishing destination when the season opened..as the summer showed up I just found it too busy for my liking.

• 2 weeks later...

not sure when the opener is...last year on May 1st swimbaits on a jig head were dynamite...found those big shallow bays and threw them out towards the drop off...non stop action almost every cast in the right spots.

Edited by AKRISONER