I got a question about ratio

misfish

The difference in line diameter should have absolutely no difference on how fast it is retrieved and placed on the spool. Now a thinner diameter may not fill the spool as fast, but, it's still coming across the roller as fast as a thicker line.

Good question brian,well i would think that braid is slower because it is made of fibers and its not smooth at all,while flouro is very smooth it should slide with less fristion right??? :unsure: ?????? at least thats what i think,i moatly use braid for salmon,fishing or for my walleye rods for bottom bouncing,so its not like i cast it all the time,but after lots of use,the braid will have lots of little frays on it. :huh: ..so who knows.....cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

I find when casting braids and retrieving them, it has a little more friction on the winding then say mono or floro.This is why Im asking.I dont want to have to reel faster to keep the ratio that Im looking for.

I am afraid that my answer falls short of being complete in that I have too little experience with the braid mentioned. However, I can say simply enough that the reel turns the spool the same amount with each full revolution of the handle. As line fills the spool, the reel retrieves the line faster as the filling spool has a larger diameter, thus faster retrieve, with each revolution. Therefore, whatever line has the largest diameter will have the faster retrieve throughout the same number of total revolutions chosen between the two line diameters.

Truly, such a difference is miniscule, and will not count for much, especially near the empty spool when the total diameter is smallest. We normally do not use the full amount of line on the spool, so the total allowance for difference is limited to the length of line used. Perhaps I would think much differently if I was able to spend the amount of time fishing as I would like. Saving even a few turns of the handle with each cast may be a big deal at day's end.

If one was reeling the larger diameter line and the spool was nearly full, the retrieve would be significantly faster than another spool with the smaller diameter with a low amount of line already spooled.

I suppose a person could do some calculations given an identical spool with different line diameters, but I do not really think the outcome would justify the effort. A quick check of the spool capacities that are listed on many reels would yield a percentage difference that could be used for a quick, down and dirty estimate.

If all of this seems like gobblecygook, or if it does not seem to conflict with others' experiences, please know that I am married and I am accustomed to a blank stare, or even to know after 27 years that I am wrong :wallbash:

Roy

but assuming both 30 lb test

that thick or thin line was filled to the max on the reel..not the same amount of line

with braid I put a backer line so the same amount of line (braid or mono) will both end up totally filling the line

so at one point the thicker line will be faster but at the beginning of the retrieve it will be slower

the braid will be a more consistent speed but faster at the beginning and slower at the end

but my mind tells me over the whole retrieve they will will end up equalling the same

I think the question may boil down to resistance. With smaller diameter there would be less resistance and you could reel faster. There is also the stretch factor with mono that may mean you'd have to reel in a little more if the line was stretched on that cast because of a hook set or snag or whatever.

The reel has a ratio that will retrieve the same amount of line per full rotation. Because the braids don't stretch as much it should be more consistent.

I'm not sure why any of this matters. The differences I would think would be minute.

Where are the scientists? :blahblah1:

Im talking baitcaster here,I guess I should of mention that first. :oops: (Spinning reels I use for tubes and jerks mostly.)Not realy important, the ratio, to me .)

I know I feel a difference in the resistents when reeling of the mono/floro and the braid,this is what Im trying to get at.

The bottom line is....

you aint gonna notice no diffference at all...

because, if yer talkin' casting as opposed to trolling...

then you ain't gonna have enough line out (assuming you start with a full spool) to sufficiently reduce the spool diameter.

The diameter of the spool and the gear ration determines line speed over the roller guide.

If you cast a distance of 50-75 feet, the spool is still very full looking, at least on the long cast spool models.