Thinking about getting an HRV

4x4bassin

Hello everyone , been awhile since I have been around . Busy couple months but always peek in for a visit . Anyways , I live in a 8 year old house that was bought new

and I seem to have some moisture problems in the winter along with "stale air" through out the house , been doing some research and made some phone calls and it

seems my house requires an HRV system . I know they can be a bit pricey but if it gets rid of these problems I will go for it . Anybody have any input on these systems

or have one in there home with good/bad experiences . Thanks

I have one, 6 yr old house but it was built in with the house and ducted to each room.

It works great. Hardly open windows and always fresh, even after cooking fish.

If you have forced air now you may be able to incorporate it but I don't know.

If done right it will take care of stale air and humidity problems.

I've thought about getting one installed when I upgrade the furnace. I also struggle with moisture in the winter, the house must have been sealed really well when built and we get condensation on the windows unless I keep the dehumidifier running through the winter. I was worried about mold at first, but I have not had any issues with condensation forming anywhere but the windows.

I wouldn't be surprised if you see them become more common in new builds with better HVAC systems. The newer systems have great efficiency an help a lot with keeping basements from becoming musty in the summer and the air from going stale in the winter.

I actually thought they were code when mine was built

They are pretty simple a little box with a fan and a filter. Double wall insulated flex pipe from box to outside of house at least 20' or so apart. The fan sucks air in one pipe and out the other. As the air passes the cold warms and the warm cools so just about zero heat loss and its vented through the house including bathrooms. Cycles every 15 minutes or so and there is a timer switch in bathrooms for when you want it on like during showers. They run completely silent and you never have to open a window