Line shy?

dannyboy

How shy are fish of fishing line?

The reason I am asking is we are going to Algonquin for a few days and would like to try for Brook trout. Our reels are spooled with braided line (Fireline) that we use with good results bass fishing. Should we re-spool with a less visible line?

Most of our fishing will be trolling behind the canoes and some casting around beaver lodges.

thanks

Dan

Good question and opinions will vary. Water here isn`t as clean as up north in most places, but if I am having a tough bite I will pick up the rod with Vanish on it and try. So far I haven`t noticed a difference, the thought counts? LOL

I used golden stren up on the Georgian, braided dacron also, didn`t seem to make a difference, my main line here and there has been Clear Blue Florescent Stren for the last 30 - 35 years.

If you are concerned throw a floro leader on, cheaper than changing out line.

Ohiofisherman has it right, fluoro leader would be my choice.

One of the things that I found most effective for trolling behing a canoe for specs or rainbow trout was to put a silver Cleo or something similar on my line, (don't go too big) remove the trebble hook and put about 18" of leader (I use to use mono) with a single hook and a worm. I liked to use a bait hook but would break the barb off. We would consistantly out fish everyone else (mind you we didn't tell them what we were using LOL). The other thing that I really like is small rooster tail spinners, brown body brass blade was my goto especially for casting but it worked well trolled in shallow water too.

Let us know how it goes and enjoy your trip!

Thanks, I totally forgot about using a leader.

Thanks for the tips, we have never fished for trout in lakes just steelhead in rivers with floats and lures.

We average about 5km/hr (3 mph for you imperial types) in the canoes, how is that for trolling speed?

I will post a report when we get back.

Dan

Brookies can be real shy, also depends on water clarity myself I have extra spools for my reels, helps for quick line change, be it one with braided and one fluoro or It's also nice if you're a die hard one way or the other to have two different line strength on two spools

This years opener in the park I ran 10lb PP, mostly for abraision purposes. We fished for specks on one of the clearest lakes I've seen in my life. Line visibility didn't seem to bug them one bit. Although they were probably hitting the feed bag pretty hard and might be a little more picky now that they've had their early spring buffet. Good luck dude.

gallery_292_41_113185.jpg

Corn Nug

When I started steelheading I used 30lb pp and I didn't get a hit. I got some advice from the board and switched to fluro line (seaguar) and have been alot more success and have been able to land my first steelie ever. I'd go with the board on this one, wouldn't hurt to have a extra spool of fluro in your tackle box. Good luck.

Guest Johnny Bass

I believe in certain situations, lines spook fish. Like drifting for Trout or jigging for smallies, but for trolling, it doesn't seem to make a difference. Then again, I have never targetted brookies.

After years of fishing I would have to say if a fish is hungry he's not judging what kind of line you are using.Fish are not that smart.

I fish walleye in some rapids my friend who ties his rapalas direct and I use swivels and sometimes a leader because of pike .I catch just as many walleye as him.

I have tried the seagar line ya its pretty invisible but I don't think it makes a huge difference.I would like to add I am not impressed with the quality of this line it breaks very easily it is brittle and obtains line abrasion fairly easily.I am not impressed with this line for what it costs.

One thing I would like to add is I prefer black leaders for pike over the silver ones.

For now on I use Stren Super Braid. ;)