first nipissing fishing trip this year

ok so I was up visiting family again in North bay and finally got to get out on nipissing and do some fishing.

I posted this last year but i am posting it again for those who didnt see it. Its neat little history. Wish alot more lakes had this explaining the history of the lake and area.

101753.JPG

Saturday I was out all day and it was a great day but a frustrating day! The fish were biting but no kidding I must have lost 10 fish!

I found one 50 yard stretch which was a rocky shore line with a really defined weedline. Ok this is a text book spot to hold lots of fish. i rowed back (didnt want to start the motor) and then drifted from what I figured to be 15-20 feet of water to the weedline which was in about 10 feet of water then the rocks which sloped from about 10 feet untill the shore. Nothing the first drift. Rowed back again a little furthur out this time.

Fish on! this little walleye just made the slot at 16 inches so back it went.

127130.JPG

I didnt have time to put another night crawler on so i just grabbed my other rod rigged with a buzzbait as i was coming up to the weeds. I fan casted into the weeds looking for pike.....Wham a musky strike!!! my heart was pounding as it looked to be a big fish. After about 2 minutes the fish pulled a few really strong heads shakes and the reel popped off my rod! as i tried and struggled to get the reel back on I realized the hook came out and the fish was gone! It also trashed my buzzbait but even though I didnt get it in the boat it was fun and exciting.

I moved to another spot with the idea of coming back after things settle down a bit over there. I trolled for pike for about 45 minutes in the rain which came down pretty good for about 30 minutes, then headed back to the same area.

I started using a large spinner and on the first cast i caught this little pike right at the weedline where the weeds connect with the rocks.

127131.jpg

Through him back as soon as I got the picture and the very next cast I caught his brother. Before I could get it in the boat it gave a head shake and spit the hook. This was not a good sign losing another fish. I casted the area from the weeds to the shoreline for about 30 minutes and lost 5 fish. A couple where pike and the others I didnt get to see. (i was cursing myself something fierce. I had the be the worst fisherman in the world!)

After I tried to drift for walleye on the edge of the weeds and the deeper water and lost another 2 walleye at the boat. I wanted to go back for more pike in the rocks/weeds. It was like the bite just went dead. I figured a musky was roaming the waters that is why it suddenly stopped like that. as I was about to call it the day and head back in I had a good bite. Set the hook and it felt like a good fish. It felt like a decent walleye but as it got closer to the boat and as I just clued in that it was a big oos smallie a musky came up and took a swiped at it. Wow!!! that was pretty much the highest you can get without using drugs!

I got the smallie in the boat and it was a 20.5 inch 3 pounder and it was skinny! Cant imagine what this fish would be like in the late fall!

Take a look at the bite mark out of her.

127132.jpg

I was amazed at the size of the fish took a quick pic and let her go. I have to admit I normally spend sometime when releasing fish especially out of season fish but after seeing that musky take a swing at a 20 inch fish I was not wanting to have my hand in the water nursing the fish for much longer then a few seconds.

I settled down after a few minutes and fished for about 45 more minutes more before heading in. Now when I was just about to pack her all up I spotted this guy which I thought was a pike, but after getting a little closer it turnes out it was a huge smallie. I mean huge!!!!!! 6 pounds easily! i know water makes them appear bigger but I think it was longer the the 20.5 incher and looked alot thicker. The pic may be hard to see it but its there and its huge! (look for the leaf floating on the water its right above the head of the fish.)

I left it alone with the hope that it will be roaming the same area when I come back for opening bass weekend!

127133.jpg

I think all the excitient made it alot easier for me to forget about the 10++ fish that I just for some reason or another could not land.

For all those that doubt lake nipissing as one of the greatest fisheries in Ontario. Trust me i know it can be a frustrating lake some days but man when its on there is non stop action that is comparable to any other fishery in the province!

Cheers!

ps. I Can't wait for bass opener!

For all those that doubt lake nipissing as one of the greatest fisheries in Ontario. Trust me i know it can be a frustrating lake some days but man when its on there is non stop action that is comparable to any other fishery in the province!

What he said :clapping: Not many lakes in this province that holds so many trophy fish indeed..Thanks for your report.

Nice report. Love fishing the area and we will be up there again this August.

Two years ago the water level was way down.... last year about half-way back to normal..... what are the water levels like there now. I am sure the gang heading to the Lakair event would want this info also.

Thanks

to be honest with you seaweed i didnt really pay to much attention to the water levels. I kind of knew the area I wanted to fish since it was my first trip there this year and just went to it. I know the area that i was going to was safe. Thinking about it I would say it was about the same as last year but like I said I didnt realy pay to much attention. I was fishing the south bay so im on the other end of the lake from where lakair is.

Cheers!

Hi Lunker. Great report. Good to see you did well. Next time you are up here at south bay stop by for a cold one(or a hot coffee). Were you in Hunters Bay or Fish Bay? If you were you must have driven right past my place.

Edited by Nipissing