My Ontario Fish Quest continues with a new species.... well almost!

Hi everyone,

Well I decided it was time that I explored some new fishing grounds this weekend and try and catch another species of fish on my list. So my wife and I rented a car in T.O and headed north to Cook's Bay. Thanks to PatrickG we managed to find a boat rental. This was the first time I had ever fished from a boat and after a quick lesson we were off. The plan was to stay relatively close to shore in Cook's Bay in the area near Gilford and fish the shallow weedlines (8-10ft) where we had been told the perch and other panfish were and maybe the odd large pike! :thumbsup_anim:

med_gallery_354_52_28563.jpg

I started off casting the new perch/firetiger Xrap Shad lures I had picked up from Bass Pro yesterday. After 30mins of no luck I gave up as I get impatient easily and could see perch chasing my lures. So I decided I could get my money's worth (boat cost $90 for 4hours) if I had a few hours of fun catchin perch instead. I switched to worms and hooked into plenty of small perch. I then decided to try out my green/chartreuse micro tubes under a float - bang even more perch, some pretty large pumpkinseed and the smallest rock bass imaginable LOL. Here's a few pictures that my wife took. :clapping:

med_gallery_354_52_55041.jpg

med_gallery_354_52_136583.jpg

A few enjoyable hours passed with dozens upon dozens of fish caught and released. Then with about half an hour to go before we were due to return the boat I was bringing in a pumpkinseed and a large pike came from nowhere and almost went for my catch. So I put my light panfish rod down and picked up my medium heavy rod with 12lb line on attached a wire trace and the 'hot steel' Xrap in my box - which had the closest colours to a pumpkinseed. First cast - wouldn't you know just as the lure comes into view we see the large pike follow the lure. I pause.... and bam... fish on!! After a few minutes and some good runs pulling line off my spool I bring the fish to the surface, as it gets near the boat it takes off under the boat but I manage to turn it quickly and with it tiring I bring it back towards the surface. This was a really hard fighting pike and easily my personal best at easily 30-32 inches in length. :w00t:

med_gallery_354_52_152205.jpg

med_gallery_354_52_67311.jpg

I reach down grab the line with one hand and am about to grab the fish with the other and splash.... snap..... There goes the my best ever pike..... my first of the year.... my lure and the leader!!! The line had snapped and I could only watch helpless as the fish slowly swam away with my lure into the weeds below........ :oops::angry::wallbash:

My wife took this pic moments later.... I think the caption "despair" sums it up!! :dunno:

med_gallery_354_52_94661.jpg

Needless to say with hopes dashed we pulled up the anchor, started the engine and headed for shore.

They say bad luck comes in threes - well I had had 2 pieces of bad luck - first losing my biggest pike, second losing my lure (a lure I had only just replaced from one lost on a snag at the T.O Islands).... so I should have been looking out for number three. As I sat in the car with the door open a bird flying past decides to drop a surprise with pinpoint accuracy through the car door and onto my leg! :blink:

Oh well.... could have been worse I guess... could have been skunked.... could have been a seagull that 'carped' on me.

It won't be long and i'll be back out there - have the day off tomorrow so may hit the T.O islands and see if I have better luck with pike or perhaps carp there. :Gonefishing:

Cheers

P.S A couple of questions...

How much would a fairly chunky 30-32inch pike weigh??

......and does anyone else ever feel dizzy after a sunny day in a boat?! LOL Or is my apartment moving..........I need to go and lie down LOL

Love the pics and report!

My wife took this pic moments later.... I think the caption "despair" sums it up!! :dunno:

med_gallery_354_52_94661.jpg

Your wife really captured the moment there.LOL I'm sure Motrin or advil would gladly use it in their magazine ads for a few $.

Technically if you touch the leader, isn't it considered a caught fish? All the guys down in the Florida keys use that rule :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks MJL - that cheered me up a bit - maybe I'll keep it on my list of species 'caught' this year (until hopefully I can net/land/boat one and have truly caught one)!

007 hang in there and that was a very funny report made me laugh.One question where the hell was the net?

Switch to braided line and be sure to use a leader when fishing for pike.I know its a matter of time before you show us a beautiful PB.Good luck next time and stay away from seagulls :whistling:

MTP :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

Tony B and Mike - You're right of course, and it has been going over and over in my mind why I didn't take my landing net, because thinking back there were a couple of occasions where I probably could have easily netted the fish.

The reason for not taking the net was threefold - 1) I've noticed that a lot of people don't use a landing net when fishing from boats so I didn't think it was the done thing; 2) because the last time I used a net for a pike as I untangled the fish and lure from the net I got the trebles through my hand - so in the back of my mind I guess I associate the two things with a nasty result; and 3) I forgot!

I need to remember the net and not let a bad experience spoil future ones!

Another question - how long will it take for the XRap in the lost pike's mouth to come loose or disintegrate?

Not only am I annoyed I lost the fish but hate ot when I leave a lure in a fish.

In the meantime, if anybody catches a pike of about 30 inches with an xrap in its mouth, can I have it back?! LOL

Oh man...I feel your pain...first hand! I was trib fishing....trying to land my first steelhead by myself. Had a big male on...full spawning colours. Brought it close, went to grab is and same thing...SNAP!!! I tried to grab it...touched it, but it swam away. I learned a very important lesson that day. Never forget your net!!!

Chin up...you'll get em!! A 32"pike I landed weighed in at about 8 pounds...another one I caught was 34" and weighed 10 pounds...here's a pic of that 10 pounder....

gallery_60_23_14987.jpg

Oh yeah...after telling my story about the steelhead, ppl told me that it's as good as landed...made me feel better too, but I still would have rather landed it...LOL. Good luck tomorrow!!! Looking forward a report!

Edited by ccmtcanada

Tony B and Mike - You're right of course, and it has been going over and over in my mind why I didn't take my landing net, because thinking back there were a couple of occasions where I probably could have easily netted the fish.

The reason for not taking the net was threefold - 1) I've noticed that a lot of people don't use a landing net when fishing from boats so I didn't think it was the done thing; 2) because the last time I used a net for a pike as I untangled the fish and lure from the net I got the trebles through my hand - so in the back of my mind I guess I associate the two things with a nasty result; and 3) I forgot!

I need to remember the net and not let a bad experience spoil future ones!

OO7 buy yourself a rubber net they have changed the hang ups in the net for me.Once you use a rubber net you will never look back.It saves on time when you want to release the fish quickly and don't worry the net stretches quite a bit a 33 ince pike fit no problem not to mention 30 inch walleyes.Good luck on the next outing.MTP

Oh and in the boat a net is a must unless you don't mind losing fish :whistling:

Thanks for the great story 007. The lost lures reminded me of myself last year. I take fewer chances now and (touch wood) haven't left any lures to a Pike's sharp teeth. Almost enjoy fishing for Pike now!!

Can't wait for your next report.