4Runner brake work. NF

captpierre

You can also argue that todays cars and trucks are mostly unsevicable by todays backyard mechanics. Have a customer bought a bmw, the thing doesn't have a dipstick for the oil level cause they don't want you check the levels to do your changes. my bosses truck, they have to remove the front quarter panels to access the spark plugs. is crazy!

As noted.. I said they're not serviceable, just replaceable in our current throw away society. Sounded like you wanted to just replace something that wasn't "crying out" yet. While they had your hub off.. did they check your vacuum actuator for 4 x 4. Just replaced my drivers side on my '11 as it wouldn't retract fully to stay in 4 x 2. $200 for the part.. 3.5 hours labour to replace.

Cheap hub is $200.. better one is $340, so you got tagged for about 3 hours labour to change it by the book. I generally do a hub in about 1.5. I've done over a dozen on Fords, Jeeps and Trailblazers.

Edited by irishfield

I changed out a front bearing on my Honda Pilot a couple of years ago.

What a pain in the butt that was!!! The bearing is actually pressed into the steering knuckle.

Have to take the knuckle off and head over to a shop to get it pressed out and the new one pressed in.

The part isn't expensive but there is a lot of labour to do the job.

Specialty socket to remove half shaft nut.

Much difficulty removing said nut. Axle stand two 1/2" extensions, 1/2" breaker bar and 6 foot pipe + 250# guy jumping on the pipe tor break the nut free. Torque to 250 ft lbs. when reinstalling.

Went without the press for way tooooo long. Got lucky and caught the last one in stock during a PA 1/2 price sale this Spring. Offer is always there.. if anyone needs something pressed in place.. PM me. Been priceless as I do the full restoration on my '69 Bee. Handy for "reality work" as well ! lol

Today's front wheel bearing get a lot more stress then Irish's '69 Dodge Super Bee (BTW nice car, I had '68 RR) because most vehicles are now front wheel drive, thus more wear n tear on those bearings......still not good.

However, overall the vehicles of today are SOOOO MUCH better with so much less required maintenance then back in the day. I guess some of you never had to "Tune Up" your car every 12000 miles or SOONER and engines last a LOT longer not to mention body panels that don't rust out in 2-3 years.

Today's Vehicles are:

* Better

* Stronger

* Last Longer

* Safer

* More Comfortable

* Cleaner for the Environment

* And Cost a Lot More

And there is more to come in the future.

As noted.. I said they're not serviceable, just replaceable in our current throw away society. Sounded like you wanted to just replace something that wasn't "crying out" yet. While they had your hub off.. did they check your vacuum actuator for 4 x 4. Just replaced my drivers side on my '11 as it wouldn't retract fully to stay in 4 x 2. $200 for the part.. 3.5 hours labour to replace.

Cheap hub is $200.. better one is $340, so you got tagged for about 3 hours labour to change it by the book. I generally do a hub in about 1.5. I've done over a dozen on Fords, Jeeps and Trailblazers.

no, it was totally worn out, was thumping as i was driving. when it was up on the lift, you could move the wheel back and forth pretty easily. was $150 for front end inspection, $399 for the part, and 1 hour of labour. i opted for the better one with a 3 year warranty. I dropped my truck off at 4 and had it back by 5. and yes, i know they aren't serviceable.

What a pain in the butt that was!!! The bearing is actually pressed into the steering knuckle.

Have to take the knuckle off and head over to a shop to get it pressed out and the new one pressed in.

Much difficulty removing said nut. Axle stand two 1/2" extensions, 1/2" breaker bar and 6 foot pipe + 250# guy jumping on the pipe tor break the nut free. Torque to 250 ft lbs. when reinstalling.

on my truck, once the caliper and mounting bracket are off, its 5 bolts to get the bearing hub off, and they are common sizes, 13mm and 18mm

There is a bearing service tool kit available, that allows you to replace a press in bearings with the steering knuckle still on the vehicle. Split the lower ball joint, pull the axle out of the hub; then using a slide hammer pull the hub out of the bearing. Now with this bearing kit you pull out and press in the replacement bearing.

Bearing Tamer.jpg

I have my own here at the shop, their a couple hundred to buy; but places like car quest or other part houses may have a tool loaner program for their customers to use.

Dan.

There is a bearing service tool kit available, that allows you to replace a press in bearings with the steering knuckle still on the vehicle. Split the lower ball joint, pull the axle out of the hub; then using a slide hammer pull the hub out of the bearing. Now with this bearing kit you pull out and press in the replacement bearing.

attachicon.gifBearing Tamer.jpg

I have my own here at the shop, their a couple hundred to buy; but places like car quest or other part houses may have a tool loaner program for their customers to use.

Dan.

Yeah, only loaner place is CT here and I was under the gun to get my truck out of my buddies shop so he could do business again. ;)

I still want a press though. :whistling: