Marine Plywood and using composite 2x4" for boat bunks?

Fisherpete

I made a light rear deck extension by adding aluminum supports on each end, carpeted 1/2" that is bolted on the supports and then using milk crates for deck support and storage underneath. My Crestliner decking happens to be perfect height for milk crates to slide under, which is what I use with downspout to hold my musky lures. As a result the rear deck addition weighs almost nothing and provides additional storage space. I can swap out crates and tackle easily too.

Landry you said you used "downspout" to hold your Musky lures. Please elaborate. I bought one of those "Tackle Mate" boxes for all my big Walleye plugs and spoons. The best $89.99 I have spent in a long time. They also have a deeper box for big bricks you guys throw.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

You don't know how to do something Landry? Tell me it ain't so. I get what you mean now. I have seen some pretty ingenious tackle storage solutions out there. I came up with a home made rod holder for my boat. Cut a 3 foot piece of 4" black ABS pipe and screwed 4 @ 2" 6" pieces of ABS around it vertically. Then I glued a 4" piece of 2" pipe to a 4 to 2 inch reducing coupling on the bottom. The 2" piece on the bottom fits tightly over the post of my removable seat posts. I mount it on the bow mount seat post and can store vertically and safely 4 rods, or I can put it behind me on the boat post on the rear casting platform. Once we start fishing I just pop out the seat mount post and keep it to the side of the bow up front. That gives me 7 total vertical rod holders on the boat. I will not lay rods on the floor anymore since I stepped on my best rod.

FishFarmer used that space age slick polymer stuff for his bunks, slick as snot. I don't know the proper name. Just make sure the boat is in the water before taking the hook off the trailer, I saw the aftermath of a boat that slid off right onto the concrete ramp, smashed it to smithereens.

Man how many thousands of dollars worth of lures are in one of those boxes in the link you provided Landry? Several thousands I'm sure.

I don't like how they are jammed in there, the idea I thought is to keep them separated. I got sick and tired of trying to pull the plug that is working to et on another line and spending time to get the hooks untangled. Then just giving up because I have a hook in my hand. I want the boxes closed so when I might hit a wave they are not all over the floor. I love my Tackle Mate box. Since I got mine a few of the boys followed suit.

Sorry about the hi-jack.

You don't know how to do something Landry? Tell me it ain't so. I get what you mean now. I have seen some pretty ingenious tackle storage solutions out there. I came up with a home made rod holder for my boat. Cut a 3 foot piece of 4" black ABS pipe and screwed 4 @ 2" 6" pieces of ABS around it vertically. Then I glued a 4" piece of 2" pipe to a 4 to 2 inch reducing coupling on the bottom. The 2" piece on the bottom fits tightly over the post of my removable seat posts. I mount it on the bow mount seat post and can store vertically and safely 4 rods, or I can put it behind me on the boat post on the rear casting platform. Once we start fishing I just pop out the seat mount post and keep it to the side of the bow up front. That gives me 7 total vertical rod holders on the boat. I will not lay rods on the floor anymore since I stepped on my best rod.

I'd love to see some pics of this Ironmaker. I have a 16' tinny, and have limited space for rods.