line

last year my family and i were fishing out on lake nippissing and we used spider wire and we found it really bad our line was snapping and the line tangled way to easy and i was wondering if anyone had some ideas for line ,i am actually thinking about buying braided line but im not to sure about it if i really neeed it,well i would appreciate ur feed back guys

thanks

little angler

I have just made the switch to braid and I was a mono guy before.Thats it I love braid no more twists no more tangles no more #$%@1&^8...My 8 year old does not want to return to mono.I have tried fireline didn't like it.The brand I like is Stren Super Braid.Alot of members here like power pro which I can't find here in Quebec.Beleive you will like Braid :thumbsup_anim:

MTP

I hear ya little angler. I too used Spider Wire exclusively for my bass fishing for years. Then, a couple years ago, I must have bought a bad batch. I had the same problems you mentioned with the line breaking, even just tying the knots. Pulled it all off and, coincidently as Mike said, switched over to Stren Super braid. So far, I like it and have not had any problems. Presently using 12# or 14#, depending on how thick the slop is. For pike and musky, I have been using 80# power pro with a 2' or 3' Flouro leader. On the other hand, my father uses Fireline on most of his rods, and he likes it. Good luck !

Edited by Rich Clemens

Ask 20 different anglers that question and you'll get 20 different answers.

I like power pro for certain applications like deep (30' plus) vertical jigging, and also have it spooled on all my musky/pike baitcasters..

But for all around light tackle spin fishing I'm a big fan of 6 and 8lb Stren Magnathin. Just love that line...

Boy, it is so hard to make a recomendation, there are just so many variables; type of fishing you are doing, water clarity your style of fishing....... I fish walleye most of the time and prefer drift fishing or casting to weed beds. Line type can make the difference between getting hits or not. For the type of fishing I do, the more invisable the line, the better.

Now, if I was fishing pike or bass, it would be a very different story, a good quality braid is going to put more fish in the boat because it is less likely to break off especially if there is any cover around for those pike to head for. Up until this year I hadn't used leaders much so I rigged one of my rods with a braid and am going to try using a fluorocarbon leader on it. The strength and durability of a braid, the invisability of a fluorocarbon. I'll let you know how I do.

Guest lundboy

I prefer Power Pro. It seems to be smoother and not as stiff as all the others (Fireline seems to be the stiffest), and every strand is dyed individually unlike most others that only have a coating of wax/dye on the outside of the braid. But I was impressed by the new BPS SuperBraid. Lot more on the spool and cheaper. Almost the same look and feel as PP. Didn't buy any though I tend to steer away from products not made in USA (it's made in Taiwan) if I can help it.

Never tried Power Pro only Spiderwire and Fireline. My first was Spider Wire and I was going back to Mono. I found it shredded and would not tighten on the spool. Then I tried Fire Line and now Im converted. Ive had it spooled for three years on my Spinning Reel. I use it for trolling Musky and Pike. Casts good also.