Five lakes, in five days

misfish

I had booked a 5 day long weekend and thought what the hell, lets do 5 lakes, in 5 days tour. I never thought this would be a challange. Always head out and catch. Oh I was tested to say the least. The biggest issue I found was that all the lakes were like bath water. Anywhere from 78 deg to a high of 81 deg. I found out fast, how this was going to effect the fishing. SLOW, thats an understatment. The best bite was the first hour or so each morning. Each start of the morning,ave me the feeling it was going to be a great day.Then the work began. Tossing everything I had to try and figure out a pattern, Pattern? The was no pattern. Just keep chucking what ever I could, and catch when I could. Seems mostly the little ones wanted to play. You know, like being a kid ,no matter the weather, just play. But as the old, just sit back, relax,stay put, keep your mouth shut, and you wont get caught. LOL

Lake one was up in the Burks falls area. Known to have large mouth,small mouth, pike and walleye. Well I managed a few black bass and a pike or two. Lost two of my favorite spinner baits to the toothy critters. Thieves they are. 5am til 11:30. All moving around by flippers.

Lake two was out in the Kawarthas. Known for smallies,walleye and musky. Arrive in the AM darkness.The wind was up, I could feel it blowing th warm water on my back. Another warm body of water. Since I was already there, I gave it the old boy go. Water was way down and warm as soup. Flipped my way out to the middle of the lake tossing jigs,spinner baits. The weed growth was much more then I had seen before. Once I had enough of burning my legs out, I used the wind/waves, to push me aound here and there and eventualy back to my staring point. Managed a few small bass and a cigar eye. When I held these fish in my hand, I was surprised they could even be alive. They felt like I was holding a hot dog.

Lake three, was in the Port Severn area. Agin there well before day light. I was in awe with the great sunrise. Always gets my juice flowing to get fishing. The water was flat and inviting for top water action. That inviting feeling, was short lived. Seemed a spinner bait would take a few large mouth and a couple of toothy snot rockets, which I should add, destroyed another 2 spinner baits.

Lake four was to be in the cold water area, but when I got to the, 400 /69- 11, I stayed a straight course up hwy 11 to a different lake. ( there is a lake I want to try, but need to find toon access during day light first. LOL)This lake is known as a PP. I camped there when I was younger. Known for lots of buckets and catfish. Again, as I set the toon in water , it was soup temps. By this time, Im like why am I here? Then that thought left me fast. Just get moving, sip on my cup of java and start casting ,hoping for a different day. Well, it wasnt much different. Quick early morning bites. Good thing, as the lake got busy by 10 am. I expected that as it,s a PP. No biggie. So off I got and hoped for better things for day five.

Lake five. Hmmm. I planned to hit Lake Simcoe cool water depths, but when I woke up at 3 am, I said do I really want to head out in ENE winds and get blown off? HELL NO. So up hwy 11 again I go. Get to my side rd. Still an hour and a half til day light, but it was calm. Only the cry of the loons call out. Splash the toon in and get out there. Top water again to start. Managed to get a couple before the sun decided to make a presents. Work my way along the shore then head out a bit deeper. Seem to be the same as the past four days. Quick bites then it goes slow and just need to keep working the baits.

I have gotten to the point kicking away with my flippers, that I have no idea how far I have gone. I will see my starting point and say WOW, I have covered alot of water. When Im casting and flipping the whole time, it,s amazing . Im always kicking away. Has just become natural to me. I,ll bet I have flipped the last 5 days over 30+ miles. Might even be more. Thats no bull folks.

Today I had a very nice surpise, to end the 5th day. Just floating about casting away, and some loons decided to entertain me. I even had one pop right up in front of me. I had to stop casting. The last thing I would want ,is to have one attack my spinner bait and have to deal with that. I just sat back and enjoyed the dance of the loons. Heres a short video of my five days. I wish there were more fish, but I am very blessed with my 5 days on the water.

Not bad though, for a guy and just his toon. :Gonefishing::canadian:

I have another 5 day 5 lake, planned for September. A couple will be same lakes, as I know when they cool off, the bite will be much better, and a few new ones. Just need to go for a drive and find some road side accesses on the new ones.

Hope you all had a great safe and long weekend.

B

Edited by Brian B

Awesome! Ya those dink pike will trash a spinnerbait in a hurry. Tremendous willpower to get out there 5 days in a row...and kicking about at that. You will have thighs of steel by the end of summer. I have a hard enough time getting in a boat that often with so many other commitments! Good for you and keep the reports coming.

great way to spend 5 days , cool idea. That scene with the loons is awesome

Thanks Rick. I cant wait til my next road trip. Just hoping for cooler weather by then.

Awesome! Ya those dink pike will trash a spinnerbait in a hurry. Tremendous willpower to get out there 5 days in a row...and kicking about at that. You will have thighs of steel by the end of summer. I have a hard enough time getting in a boat that often with so many other commitments! Good for you and keep the reports coming.

Thanks Roger. After the fifth day, I was not tired at all. Woke up this morning and said to myself, crap, I got to go back to work. But remembering it was a short work week, it wasnt that bad.LOL

Edited by Brian B