Fibreglass over plywood pontoon console?

Raycaster

I redid my pontoon a few years back (with help from forum) rebuilding the mostly plywood furniture and console and then new vinyl with foam etc.

Everything is OK (a little worn) but the console needs doing.

A friend suggested just to fiberglass over the plywood, sand smooth, paint and voila - I'd have a professional console looking like the expensive molded ones I'm avoiding to buy.

I've been You-tubing the subject for awhile and of course its not that easy.

Besides the cost of a molded console (> $400) the boats steering cables gives me no wiggle room for adjustment and I have to mount the steering wheel exactly in the original location and angle.

Ideally I'd like to redesign the console (keeping the steering measurements exact) but changing the instrument area and allowing for a windshield.

Has anyone here tackled a fiberglass job?

Hthm, did the paint come out relatively smooth?

Also, wondering about the cost.

All the youtube examples are from the states and i've seen $100 diy jobs turn into 3x the cost in canada. Maybe my best bet would be to find a fixer up console in a boat graveyard...

Im going to head down and talk to a local supply shop to see whats involved.

Hthm, did the paint come out relatively smooth?

Also, wondering about the cost.

All the youtube examples are from the states and i've seen $100 diy jobs turn into 3x the cost in canada. Maybe my best bet would be to find a fixer up console in a boat graveyard...

Im going to head down and talk to a local supply shop to see whats involved.

The paint came ou smooth after I sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded,had a beer, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, had another beer, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and another beer and then didn't care how it looked. It is just a boat after all.

Edited by HTHM

One plan was to wrap it in 1/16 white plastic panel.

With a heat gun I could slowly wrap the console and bend clean edges etc.

I built an enclosed shower kit which came with a few sheets 4X8 of durable white plastic that would work perfect but I have yet see the sheets on sale by themselves.

I've seen semi-plastic panels with a cardboard type backing but none of them just plain plastic at HD and lowes.

New thought of wrapping in aluminum due to the cost.

BTW HTHM, your post reminded me of painting cupboards to get a plastic like smoothness. I sanded and painted, sanded and painted, X10. It ended up with a orange peel texture after all that work.

Your 100% right, its just a old boat anyways but don't want it total ghetto either...