Grizzly 700 wheel bearings question

icefisherman

Over the weekend noticed some very small, limited play in each wheel when garbing it with both hands (6 and 12 o'clock position).
Wondering if it is wheel bearing that might need replacements. Bike is only 3400km ...is it normal to replace bearing so early?

I can hear no rumbling and no issues when turning...just small play when pushing/pulling with both hands on the wheel/tire. Also checked carefully and didn't see any play in tie rods or ball joints. They all seemed solid. The only small movement I can feel on my finger when touching the hub and the axle boot metal part at the same time while my wife is trying to move the wheel...i.e. does seem like possibly wheel bearing.

Kind of puzzled though....how will all 4 bearing go bad at the same time at so few kilometers?

Thought I should ask before going and buying new Kawasaki wheel bearings and do the replacement.
Is it normal to have a small play?

Do I replace all 4 bearings or do I keep driving AS IS and see if it gets more obvious problem before doing anything?

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Edited by icefisherman

Is it normal to have a small play?

Do I replace all 4 bearings or do I keep driving AS IS and see if it gets more obvious problem before doing anything?

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

No, small play is not normal. There should be zero play on every bushing and bearing connected to the control arms on a grizzly from the frame out to the wheel and any play means it's time for replacement.

A bit of play is usually fine for a while, but the bearings really should be changed as soon as you notice play when wiggling the wheel. Riding with bad bearings will cause premature wear of the control arm knuckle bushings (upper and lower in each knuckle) and can eventually lead to the knuckles being permanently damaged. That said, you should check the knuckle bushings while you're at it since your new bearings will wear out much quicker if they're paired with worn bushings. Replacing both at the same time is the better and more long term repair. They simply slide out of the knuckle. New ones will be smooth from end to end while worn ones will have a small "step" about 5/8" from each end.

It only takes about 2 hours to change all 4 bearings. Much quicker if you have access to a press to remove/install bearings.

Same Koyo OEM bearing but Kawasaki one is half price (or less) than the Yamaha one.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

cool i will keep that in mind if my 700 griz ever needs bearings

Edited by Terry