Fishng knots (other knots and splices too)

Canuck

I saw a saltwater show that showed how you can push mono leaders up into the braid hollow about 8" or so and not put in a knot. Looks dicey to me but that is what they showed.

Works like the old "Chinese finger trap"

For carp we splice leadcore to make a loop with basically the same concept... No knot

• 2 weeks later...

Great bookmark indeed, thanks. But to be honest the only knot you really need to know for fresh water fishing is the Palomar knot. I use this one 99% of the time and the other 1% is used for the Uni to uni knot strictly for leaders. If you haven't tried the Palomar knot I highly suggest giving get it a try I'venever had a knot give on me and it's super easy to do.

I saw a saltwater show that showed how you can push mono leaders up into the braid hollow about 8" or so and not put in a knot. Looks dicey to me but that is what they showed.

Yes, wind on leaders for big game fishing off shore this is how it's done.

However they run the mono or flouro up to 3' inside the hollow core.

The also rough up the surface of the leader with some very fine sand paper every few inches so it is gripped better.

Finally they use waxed thread to serve the joint between the braid and leader.

This keeps the braid from unraveling.

As for using hollow core for fresh water fishing, I don't think it's worth the extra cost and effort.

Especially with hollow core being several times more expensive than non-hollow core.

Best to just use an FG knot to connect your braid to heavy leader.