Jumping sturgeon injures woman in Fla.

ccmtcanada

Wow...this has really got to suck!!! I think I'm gonna need a bigger net if I visit down there!!!

========================================================================

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070612/ap_on_...LNvba6bTdehOrgF

Jumping sturgeon injures woman in Fla. Tue Jun 12, 7:10 AM ET

ROCK BLUFF, Fla. - A woman was injured over the weekend by a leaping sturgeon, the latest incident involving the flying fish on the Suwannee River, officials said.

Tara Spears, 32, of Bell, was knocked unconscious by the animal on Sunday while boating on the river north of Rock Bluff, the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission reported.She was taken to a hospital with non-life-threatening injuries and was expected to recover, the agency reported.

The large, prehistoric-looking sturgeon have hard plates along their backs. They can grow up to 8 feet long and up to 200 pounds.

In April, a leaping sturgeon severely injured a 50-year-old woman from St. Petersburg who was riding a personal watercraft on the Suwannee River. She suffered a ruptured spleen and had three fingers reattached by surgeons, but she lost her left pinkie finger and a tooth.

A few weeks ago we could see the sturgeons jumping out of the water near the falls here (Sturgeon Falls). It's kinda crazy seeing those big fish breaching the surface.

MNR was there netting the sturgeon to take measurment and ect.. While i was watching they lifted 4 of them, not verry big ones but still in the 30-40 lbs range.