Pink salt, do I really need this,,,,,,,, DONE ;)))))))

misfish

WELL,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I am pretty pleased with my first try.

Out of the oven after 3.5 hours at 200 deg. I always go more then I am told. Cooked is cooked to me.

bacon 2 001b.jpg

I sliced a piece and yes, it,s brown not pink like the store, I fried a slice. . I tried it first. OMG The mrs,s was like I want some. So, what ya think? :good:

bacon 2 007b.jpg

When I knew it was all good, I sliced it up. THICK PLEASE. :D

bacon 2 005b.jpg

Cooled and bagged. I didnt go the single slice thing. I will cook it a bag at a time. :canadian:

bacon 2 008b.jpg

The trimmed rind is candy.

bacon 2 006b.jpg

bacon 2 015b.jpg

Thanks to each of you for all your help .

BACONBOTIET

Good work. Home made bacon is clearly much better. When you cook it the first thing you will notice is the meat

Doesn't drop any water like store bought. It is definitely not any cheaper tho.

store bought prepacked bacon is brined, not salt cured, so basically they have a needle machine hooked up to a brine pump, they drop the needles through the rind, and inject the salt brine, which will basically be salt and water, they tend to over do it on the brine, and theres were you get a lot of loss when you cook it, as you're not only cooking off the fat, but also the water.

with the bacon we sell at the shop, it does not shrink up a whole lot.

I have retained a few gallons of water reading this thread. I have never smoked any meat in all my years. Dad never did or any of the Zio's or Compares did so we never learned. I think it was a country thing to do maybe, we never saw let alone eat any smoked meats when I was a kid. I never even saw a smoker until my 30's. Regardless an interesting thread that has taught me a few things so I can join the conversation when the crew is talking smoking meat or fish. As far as curing with salt, oh man we all started helping as soon as you could reach the table top. The job I hated worse was scrapping the salt and mold off the Prosciutto and salamuti when they were ready, I detested everything and anything pork stuffed into a casing until I eventually stopped helping make it. To think of all that Prociutto I passed up, now no one is left that can do it well now or will take the time when we can go to Fortinos and pay an arm and a leg for it. Bacon isn't in my diet. We will eat Pea Meal once every few months and that I love, salt and I have a love hate relationship. I'm so happy your bacon turned out great Brian, way to go. With a nice thick piece of that I would make a deadly Carbonari sauce.

Edited by Old Ironmaker