Smoking fish

Roy

I got a new smoker on the weekend and would like to know if any of you have a recipe (method) for smoking walleye.

I tried some yesterday and while it's very tasty, it's not quite what I'm looking for.

I did it with wine, lemons, parsley and cayenne pepper.

Thanks

Soy sauce and brown sugar are key ingredients with mine, with walleye being so lean, keep the smoking time shorter to avoid drying out the meat, although drier has a longer shelf life. I can email you the recipe, its at home, the standard big chief instructional recipe plus a few modifications.

(dill is a nice add on if you like the taste)

In my humble opinion,walleye (because it has little oil or fat) does not lend itself to smoking.Trout,salmon,white bass,and my favorite carp take to the smoker more naturally.Walleye is my favorite eating fish by far,but there are farr better fish to smoke

Camp Chef is correct that walleye are not on the top of the list when it comes to smoking but I do smoke LARGE walleye that I catch from Lake Erie and did some just yesterday.

Here is a VERY easy fool proof recipe that I use for ALL different species of fish including the walleye and pike I did yesterday.

1/4 to 1/3 cup of KOSHER salt to about one gallon of water and 1 cup of brown sugar. Mix well and pour over your fish in a NON metal container. Seal with a lid ( I use a LARGE TupperWare container) and place in the fridge overnight. Just before smoking rinse off the fish (very slimy) and set on paper towels with the skin down. Try off the fish more by dabbing with more paper towels.

I use MAPLE wood for this smoke job, any Maple even Silver Maple will do very well. This works very well with any fish.

Good Smoking,

Bob