Painting advice please

Old Ironmaker

We have a number of boats to refurbish over the winter. We are going to paint 3. Cars yes, I have lost count of how many I have painted but none of us has ever painted fibreglass with gelcoat or Aluminum.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. There is much advice on the web and much advice is contradictory. A link to good sites would be of great help.

Time to get off my butt, next year is almost year.

Johnny D

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Ya I found a lot of real good stuff there like I said. Everything from the cheapest to the best and in between. I wouldn't use the pool noodles for floatation like a lot seem to like - but do watch what they say for real marine flotation, primers, sealants, hardware and lumber - like pressure treat is ok to use IF you follow what they say about separating it from aluminum (epoxy coats etc.). Also some good prep methods, specifics on coatings and on and on. Just add a little common sense and maybe a little extra research and you're pretty much guaranteed good results. Hope y'all do a picture report on your efforts!

Michael

You are bang on when it comes to prep. What type of paint did you use Albert? Did you clear coat it?

I no longer have the can, but on the hull it was a single stage rubberized paint by PPG. On the cap it was base coat clear coat automotive. The exact paint is only available to professionals as I understand it. My brother owns a body shop and did the painting for me.