Spring Bear Hunt Proposal

Jon

I didn't see this posted yet and I know this is a fishing page but I thought people would be interested in this proposal to amend two regulations to extend and expand the Black Bear Pilot Project in parts of northern and central Ontario for an additional five years and to regulate the baiting of black bears.

Comments are welcome until November 30, 2015.

http://www.ebr.gov.on.ca/ERS-WEB-External/displaynoticecontent.do?noticeId=MTI2MzQ1&statusId=MTkwNjk4&language=en

If you want your voice to be heard, these comments will be reviewed and assessed, unlike comments posted on chat boards and social media.

Jon

what this means is that a bunch of idiots will probably go out and shoot a bunch of female bears with cubs and then run away leaving the dead bear and its cubs to starve...cant say i agree with this one at all.

How in the hell is a CO ever going to enforce the fine for shooting a bear with a cub when the guy that shoots it will most likely just run away. I think this is ridiculous.

Trying to alter the bear-person interaction through unnatural means is ridiculous in the first place. Stop putting your hand in everything and let nature sort it out. Humans are the problem here, not the bears.

Edited by AKRISONER

what this means is that a bunch of idiots will probably go out and shoot a bunch of female bears with cubs and then run away leaving the dead bear and its cubs to starve...cant say i agree with this one at all.

How in the hell is a CO ever going to enforce the fine for shooting a bear with a cub when the guy that shoots it will most likely just run away. I think this is ridiculous.

Trying to alter the bear-person interaction through unnatural means is ridiculous in the first place. Stop putting your hand in everything and let nature sort it out. Humans are the problem here, not the bears.

Do you have any facts to back that up or are you just running your mouth because you think bears are cute? Prior to the end of the spring hunt, bear numbers in Ontario were very healthy and the industry was bringing in tens of millions per year. It is easy to identify a bears gender by appearance to anyone familiar with the animal. This hunt would not have been re-opened if scientific data didn't suggest that it was sustainable. Poachers will poach anyway (I know people that shoot bears around here year-round), legal hunters should not be denied the right to a sustainable hunt that will bring in tourist dollars because it upsets non-hunters opinions (not based on fact I might add).

Funny how most people of the 'let nature sort itself out' persuasion live in the city where there are no bear interactions. Yes, we are intruders of their habitat, but its a little late for that level of hippydippy idealism. Should I pack up and go rent a loft on queen st so as to not intrude on the poor bears??

Thats the Liberal govt that came up with the plan :santa:

Conservatives sold out for money in the first place and now the fix is like its the hunters fault and they have to be put in jail by any means possible

Edited by Dara

Joey, i grew up in Northern Manitoba, and have a place in the Parry sound district, i know a thing or two about bears.

I wouldnt be so jaded if I didnt consistently see poaching occuring everywhere be it on the lake or with year round deer hunting

In this case you are going even further by encouraging normally honest people to make a judgement call, you can say bears are easily distinguishable, but the fact that a bear has cubs with it or not something you would find out until after you shoot in some cases.

Trust me I am 100% pro hunting, but the thought of killing a mother and leaving the cubs to starve is just a bit too far, especially when you are trying to put this under the pretense that its to reduce the problem bear population. im guessing the majority of bear hunting isnt occuring within a 5 km radius of town.. Maybe only hunt males in the spring? Much like the deer hunt used to be prior to the doe tag initiative.

Edited by AKRISONER

Joey, i grew up in Northern Manitoba, and have a place in the Parry sound district, i know a thing or two about bears.

I wouldnt be so jaded if I didnt consistently see poaching occuring everywhere be it on the lake or with year round deer hunting

Have you reported any of this poaching you see so often?

I know for a fact, just from your responses, you dont have any experience at all with bear hunting.

I'll just bite my tongue now.

S.

Funny how most people of the 'let nature sort itself out' persuasion live in the city where there are no bear interactions. Yes, we are intruders of their habitat, but its a little late for that level of hippydippy idealism. Should I pack up and go rent a loft on queen st so as to not intrude on the poor bears??

...ahah no but the mnr should drop off about 10 nuisance bears on queen st and let the tree huggers who try and run these campaigns have a go at er