Pickerel River

dispatch826

Hi guys, i am new to the site and was just wondering if anyone knows how the fishing is up on the Pickerel river as of late. My family and i will be heading up there soon so i was just trying to get an insight of how the fish were hitting. We are going to go for Walleye. Thanks

dispatch826.

I have a trailor on the French....last year we launched our boat right at the highway on the Pickeral, if you're going North, its on the West side....be very cautious of the launch, its crap :rolleyes: However, we fished the Pickerel River using the same techniques as we do on the French and had no luck at all. We fished for 12 hours and nada.

The french has always been good to me, although I have been going there for 20 plus years :thumbsup_anim:

I have a trailor on the French....last year we launched our boat right at the highway on the Pickeral, if you're going North, its on the West side....be very cautious of the launch, its crap :rolleyes: However, we fished the Pickerel River using the same techniques as we do on the French and had no luck at all. We fished for 12 hours and nada.

The french has always been good to me, although I have been going there for 20 plus years :thumbsup_anim:

That's good to hear. I'll be heading up to the French River/Wolseley Bay area in 19 days. Yes...i'm counting the days. :D Hopefully i get into some eyes and maybe even a ski or some pike and bass. :thumbsup_anim: I'll be sure to take lots of pics.

FOTB

:Gonefishing:

I fished the Pickeral for 5 seasons in late 80's/early 90's. I found the walleye fishing only mediocre and you were limited as to the number of weedy bays to find them ( unlike the French). A guy by the nameof Danny Smith ran the marina at Hwy 69, and he was an avid walleye fisherman, but he spet most of his time running all the way dpwn the Pic and then back up the French to some rapids for most of his. If the water is high and moving fast there was also decent walleye fishing the narrows a few hundred yards down from the 69 bridge. If you head up, see if he still is at the marina and consult with him.....he and his dad, Harry, were quite good fellows.

I also found pike fishing to be mediocre.

On the other hand, I've seen many huge muskie on the Pickeral. I've personally caught several up to 38" or so, but have seen quite a few hogs. Personal best I've seen caught was a 49" I netted for a friend of mine, Luke Worline, who now owns Drifter Tackle. The day before this one we had a fish we both feel was close to mid 50's actually in the net, and it rolled out leaving the plug attached to the net. If you ever see Luke at one of the shows ask him to recount this event.....we still talk about it.

I finally left the Pic for the French, primarily due to the limited islands, bays, and structure of the Pic in comparison. This was for my kids who started coming along and I felt overall fishing on the French would be better, which proved to be true. However, if muskie is your quest, give the Pic a try.....Luke and I talk often about returning there fora short muskies only trip some time.

If you do go....report back.

I was on the Pickeral River near Port Loring 2 weeks ago and the walleye were non-existent that weekend. Only one caught the whole weekend at the resort we were at . Hopefully things have changed but thats what things were like that weekend.

FOTB. Yes - take lots of pics. I'm heading to Wolseley Bay the last week of September. Lots of great potential spots, but I have yet to land a ski from there in three trips. My wife had a very nice ski on two years ago, but she never made it to the boat. This year is it !!!!!

seems to me like the French is prolly a better pick, do any of u have suggestions as to where I could stay on the French (with boat rentals)

Im going somewhere on the 6th of July, nothing planned yet, French river seems like as good a place as any