Lost a wheel on the highway

kickingfrog

Had this happen to a guy I knew years ago.....

Turns out he was scamming the company we were working for..... A credit card scam.

The Russians didn't take to lightly of their gravy train being at its last stop.

On ramp to the 403 at the LINC in Ancaster. Both front wheels fell off...

He was arrested shortly there after.

People can and will do crazy things.

Get locking wheel nuts. Two per wheel.

G

generally nothing leaves my bay without being hand torqued first, but the biggie and no matter how many times i say it is all wheels require a retorque after 25 to 100 miles of driving, doesn't take much corrsion or dirt on the mounting surface to make the wheel come loose quickly ans surprisingly about 1 in a 100 customers will return for that retorque

X2!!!

We go one step further (especially on aluminum wheels); we clean the mating surfaces of the wheel and the hub with a wire wheel on a hand grinder. You have to get that corrosion off, or it'll powder and the wheel will become loose. Started doing this a number of years ago, when a customer came back after driving at least 200 miles; thinking he had a bad wheel bearing. No the wheel was loose and I had no excuse because I watched my tech zip the wheels up with his gun and then went over them with a torque wrench.

It's a sickening feeling, the thought that I/we could have hurt or killed him. Every vehicle no matter how busy we are gets this treatment; knock on wood; I haven't known of another coming loose on us.

Dan.

X2!!!

We go one step further (especially on aluminum wheels); we clean the mating surfaces of the wheel and the hub with a wire wheel on a hand grinder. You have to get that corrosion off, or it'll powder and the wheel will become loose. Started doing this a number of years ago, when a customer came back after driving at least 200 miles; thinking he had a bad wheel bearing. No the wheel was loose and I had no excuse because I watched my tech zip the wheels up with his gun and then went over them with a torque wrench.

It's a sickening feeling, the thought that I/we could have hurt or killed him. Every vehicle no matter how busy we are gets this treatment; knock on wood; I haven't known of another coming loose on us.

Dan.

....scary thought forsure..something even I take for granted when swapping them out

Thanks.

My intent was to give a heads up for anyone parking in the woods whether you're in that area or elsewhere.

The nuts were tightened with a torque wrench and that was 13000 kms ago.

The 4 remaining wheel studs were in perfect shape (threads are not worn) the 5th stud was snapped off.

Each wheel used to have one keyed nut and 4 regular ones.

Thats scary. Glad everybody is ok.

Just as an aside. What torque rating do people torque their lugnuts to?

Cheers,

Mark

Whatever the vehicle manufacturer indicates, with a good quality torque wrench. I don't allow torque sticks to come near my nuts.