Look out lunge... New reel

mike rousseau

So I've got the musky casting bug really bad... And wouldn't you know it I'm doing well casting this year... My old quantum Cabo has been broken a while... And my Curado 300 just started acting up so I was in the market for a new musky reel... I'm hoping to get those 2 reels fixed bit i still wanted something new...

Everything I've read says the Calcutta 400 TE was the best casting reel ever made... Of course you can't buy them anymore... Especially in a lefty...

Wouldn't you know it my dad had a Calcutta 401 TE lefty in MINT condition sitting in the boathouse covered in spiderwebs... He said I could "borrow" it (wich usually means I can have it) cause he doesn't cast...

I'm so pumped to try this reel out!!

Pretty sure your gonna find that's the absolute best musky reel you've ever casted with Mike . It's so darned smooth you won't want to use anything else. I've also got some CT's that I used to keep rigged with baits for change ups but now I just switch baits on the TE instead. LOL

Where would i pick one up?

I ordered mine from Shimano in Peterboro but I think you can get them from Gagnons in Oshawa. Just be sure you get the one specific to the TE or it'll throw everything off balance. Shimano made a mistake and sent me the wrong one so I just drove down to their place off the 115 and they gave me the correct one.

Beauty reel dude! I have two of em. Haha definetely get the power handle either way. The reel sucks without it. Seriously. When I first got mine I tried it without the power handle and was not impressed. Almost sold it but then decided to try it with the power handle. It was a game changer,

I'll have to try and find one...

Rollie and Helens don't have any TE handles anymore...

Anyone know where I can order one?

Mike, call Gagnons in Oshawa and see if they have any left.

905-725-5798

If not, call Chris at the Shimano warranty center in Peterboro and he may have a number for you

866-491-529

As said above, when I called Shimano they transferred me to their California office and that's where mine came from. Funny too as it cost less to have it shipped from California than Oshawa. Just be sure they send you the one for a TE as they sent me the wrong one I I had to exchange it in Peterboro.

Lots of messing around but well worth it.

If for any reason Peterboro has one but can't ship it let me know and I'll go get it and send it out to you.

Lew knows his stuff and the beauty of it is that he's always there to help. In the past several years Lew has recommended things to me such as an ABU reel that I still use, the 6600C5 MAG X that I still use for pike and light muskie baits...great reel. Do you remember that one Lew? I needed an on board charger and he suggested I get the Guest charger.....installed it many years ago and has worked flawlessly. I wanted a bowmount TM and he steered me toward a MinnKota Edge (no bells and whistles) 24V 70lbs. This is the old model...much better than the new model. It's great! So many other things as well. Not wanting to derail this thread but thank you Lew for your recommendations over the past many years...they've never failed me.