Hastings(Lock 18) Trent Severn vs Rice Lake

Cloudy15

Hey all, I have a cottage one lock east of Rice on the Trent. I was curious how the fishing compares rice vs the river?

I was also wondering, why I can barely catch anything from now until seasons end. I really like night fishing and have tried for pickerel, but almost always come up empty. I am curious if anyone knows that section and has any pointers. Should I target the channels weed edges, seek out the deepest water, etc?

I always read fall is the time for giants bass, pike, muskie, and pickerel. I get excited every year, but tend to come up all but empty. The only luck I have really had is tossing large 7" plastic paddle tale and slow reeling it in on the slower side. Mostly pike, 8lb pickerel years ago. Maybe part of the problem is I don't narrow my focus, I try to toss baits i think every specious will hit.

But ya,I think its really about time i stepped up my fishing game.

All input is very much appreciated, thanks.

If you night fish take your boat up to the edge of the current and drop anchor. The pics are picking up bait being washed down. Fish the current breaks. And I mean right on the edge, if you are off by feet it will make a difference.

Don't get too close in case some guy from the bridge starts to bomb you. Use a fair bit of rope in case of current change. Me I would go with a buddy and have a sharp knife ready.

Use a bucket out the back to keep you straight. Use a 1 oz slip sinker and a floating jig head with a 3 ft lead and a big healthy minnow or worm. Slowly tensing and releasing the slack until you feel the extra weight.

I have spent many nights off of that bridge using this teck. had a lot of fun.

Good luck.

Edited by davew3

If you night fish take your boat up to the edge of the current and drop anchor. The pics are picking up bait being washed down. Fish the current breaks. And I mean right on the edge, if you are off by feet it will make a difference.

Don't get too close in case some guy from the bridge starts to bomb you. Use a fair bit of rope in case of current change. Me I would go with a buddy and have a sharp knife ready.

Use a bucket out the back to keep you straight. Use a 1 oz slip sinker and a floating jig head with a 3 ft lead and a big healthy minnow or worm. Slowly tensing and releasing the slack until you feel the extra weight.

I have spent many nights off of that bridge using this teck. had a lot of fun.

Good luck.

I know the bridge this time of year has someone fishing off of it 24 hours a day. I'm not one to be timid, but I get pretty sketched out at night near the damn. How close are you talking? I've never taken my boat closer then the green marker that divides the calm lock water and the damn flow. I do like the sounds of that rig. Do you think the first big weed flat would be worth exploring, it's a 1 km or so away.

Great bass fishing. In the short term they will get a little hard to catch with the cold nights. Takes a couple weeks for them to get winter coat on and then it's game on.

Spinnerbaits,buzzbaits,poppers,cranks and anything else.

And what colour of black bucktail jig are you using for those walleye.

I don't know the Trent but I night fish for walleye a lot on the St Lawrence River...

Troll cranks in bright colors after dark...

Weeds seem to be the best structure at night for some reason but I have found a few rocky spots that produce...

Keep in mind not all spots are "night spots"... I have spots that are great during the day but terrible at night...

Find weed edges... Turns... Points with the steepest drop offs to the deepest water you can find... The walleye hunker down in the deep Chanel's during the day and slide up the steep banks at dark...

And fish AS SHALLOW AS YOU CAN!!!!! Don't be afraid of speed... 1.5mph minimum.... Some nights I'm pushing 3mph to trigger a bite...

Cloudy, when you boat up if you watch over the side you will see where the bottom comes up quickly. Move over towards where the small channel is on your left side.

Anchor there and drop your line about 10 ft behind your boat.

There is an excellent sat picture on goggle maps right now. The water is clear and you can make out the rock pile.

Another way is to use deep diving cranks and just let them sit out the back. Don't cast, just let out some line and let the current to the work.

Good luck.

Great bass fishing. In the short term they will get a little hard to catch with the cold nights. Takes a couple weeks for them to get winter coat on and then it's game on.

Spinnerbaits,buzzbaits,poppers,cranks and anything else.

And what colour of black bucktail jig are you using for those walleye

Thanks, I really want to experience the fall bite. I have tried but I usually grind grind grind and get a few pike and the odd little bass. I might or I will should say i am going to bug the forum to let me know when good fall weather systems are here.

I don't know the Trent but I night fish for walleye a lot on the St Lawrence River...

Troll cranks in bright colors after dark...

Weeds seem to be the best structure at night for some reason but I have found a few rocky spots that produce...

Keep in mind not all spots are "night spots"... I have spots that are great during the day but terrible at night...

Find weed edges... Turns... Points with the steepest drop offs to the deepest water you can find... The walleye hunker down in the deep Chanel's during the day and slide up the steep banks at dark...

And fish AS SHALLOW AS YOU CAN!!!!! Don't be afraid of speed... 1.5mph minimum.... Some nights I'm pushing 3mph to trigger a bite...

Thanks again, for the input mike. Tell you what if you are in the area i'll take you out, and don't worry my outboard works great:) Back on the water yet?

When it comes to the Trent it's hard to find a spot that doesn't have weeds other then the main channel. I have tried trolling a bit at night, and found it pretty frustrating with all the weeds I pick up. I have tended to use a crank bait that runs in the 6-12 foot range. Maybe I need to try 2-4ft. I have caught a few in the past casting a weedless spoon at night. I have a couple spots in mind now,I'll also pull out the topo map and look for the deepest holes.

Cloudy, when you boat up if you watch over the side you will see where the bottom comes up quickly. Move over towards where the small channel is on your left side.

Anchor there and drop your line about 10 ft behind your boat.

There is an excellent sat picture on goggle maps right now. The water is clear and you can make out the rock pile.

Another way is to use deep diving cranks and just let them sit out the back. Don't cast, just let out some line and let the current to the work.

Good luck.

Ya, I know it gets shallow really quick. That plus the current is why i tend to stay away. I will check that map out for sure, thanks.

I've heard of a sweet spot a couple hundred yards(east) off the Preston Springs boat launch.

My Cottage is on the island right in front of the trail park. I have caught some of my biggest smallmouth right in front of that place. It's one of my good to spots usually can't count on it for at least a fish or two.