Advice on how to deal with water damages in condo?

okumasheffield

Cold water shot out like a bullet as soon as the cap was loosened.

tried my best to put it back in (which was impossible) and had wife to run over to turn off the valve within minutes. I then proceeded to complete the swap and everything worked perfectly.

However, we were hoping there was no damages to the unit below.

Sure enough ... within an hour, the superintendent came over saying the unit below noticed minor water damages to the shower ceiling (right below my shower) ... he also showed me the picture of '1'x1' wrinkled paint around the shower ceiling light' ... He also followed up with the unit around noon today and there was no additional damage. thank god.

I could not sleep last night but kept worrying about how it will be resolved by the building manager on Monday

I have had condo insurance for 6 years without any claims until my stupid action.

Would appreciate any advices on how it might be taken off and what would be the best way to take care of it.

- How much would the repair cost be?

- Should this be dealt with privately?

- How do my/his home insurance work?

Thanks in advance as always

Edited by Okuma-Sheffield

I deal with this all the time as a plumber when one condo damages another you are responsible for the damage first off. Contact the people downstairs and see if they want to have their contractor or have you arrange to have a contractor make the repair. After you get prices you can decide if you want to make a claim. You will most likely have to remove the damaged section and have it replaced. Then paint the whole ceiling in the bathroom. The good news is there should not be any mold remediation since it was a one time leak and not a slow drip. This depending on the contractor should be less than $500.00. You can also take pictures of the damage and the end result just in case there are any future questions on the incident. Just a final thought be really nice and apologetic it was you who damaged their property so asking if they will share the cost or see if their insurance (which it won't) will pay for it can be seen as insulting. I have seen in cases that after it is done a dinner gift or coffee coupon would go far in keeping a friendly neighbor.

Art .

a colleague had his condo (and several others) damaged when a toilet install went bad a floor above. totally soaked his hardwood floors and it was a royal PITA to have repaired. things had to be boxed, moved (talking large furniture) etc.. upstairs owner footed the entire costs for all units. don't believe my buddy went through his insurance at all. as art said, be very,very nice and apologetic about it when approaching your neighbour, never know how many friends they have on the board...

Edited by woodenboater

Insurance, that's why you have it. Let them deal with it. Don't get involved personally. My experience is that you can spend good money and bend over backwards and for some people it isn't enough. They see $$ signs and a windfall.

My guys were on a job and an elderly couple asked them to move a fridge and stove. I had to replace all the baseboards in there kitchen because of a small scratch as the 25 year old baseboard profile was no longer available. A set up for sure. We painted it twice because the colour wasn't right. Finally told them to bring it to court and they relented.

Edited by Old Ironmaker