Walleye Fishing set-up

I am hoping, while at Lakair, I have the opportunity to go out with someone who can learn me to fish for Walleye ... which I have never done before. I picked up a variety of Rapalas in different colors and sizes. Also picked up a bunch of jigs and some Berkeley powerbaits (3" long). What about leaders ? When fishing for Walleye, should I use a leader. If so, what would you recommend for length ? The rods I plan on using are presently spooled with 12# Stren super braid.

Edited by Rich Clemens

I was always raised on the mantra - no terminal tackle for walleye. I'm not familiar with Nippissing so can't say anything lake specific but the only time we considered leaders was if you had a real pike problem and they were constantly bitting you off. Also we pretty much stuck to spinner rigs and vertical jigging with 6-8lb mono (catching 14-24 inch fish for the most part) with medium light-medium rods so keep that in mind too. Sure there's lot of other guys here who will definitely know more than I do but figured I'd toss in a thought or two and get this bumped to the top.

3 weeks til our Lac des Milles Lac walley trip, the only thing keeping from breaking down and joining you all at Lakair :)

the key, i find, when jigging for walleye (or small mouth) is get the bait to the bottom. let it sit still every now and then, almost with slack line. when you slowly tighten your line, you will feel weight or not. if the weight is there set the hook or let it take it for a bit then set the hook. i try not to use leaders for walleye, but the amount of pike and muskie may determine that. hope that helps, it works! as for line i try to use as thin as the structure

and teeth will allow. (usually 6lbs or 8lb)

My fave is a floating jig/finesse shad & an egg-sinker about 1.5' from the hook. Put the hook down through the bait since it floats upside-down.

Just crawl it along in about 20" of water & hold on tight!

I believe pickerel are sight feeders more than scent, so live-bait isn't mandatory.

Late evening flat-lining deep-diver/rattling Rapalas is good too. Redfins are sweet too.

I like to use 4 ft of flourocarbon as a leader for walleye when I use a no stretch line. but sometimes I spool with pure flouro too. 8 lb works good and I use it for both jigging, trolling and drifting.

Edited by Riparian

Rich just my experience that walleye don`t get a chance to take a lure like a rapala deep enough to worry about using a steel leader, but if you are fishing in muskie or pike water like Lakaire anything can bite them.

I fished Erie a lot for walleyes and smallies, smallie fishing with a short jig and grub, like a fuzzy or foxee can get you some bite offs, I had problems with them and I was quick on the trigger. A short leader, 3 or 4 inch was all it took to fix the problem, don`t know where you can find them I made my own.

Can`t help you with the braid, I don`t use it much, shouldn`t make much of a difference walleye fishing, I have caught them using golden stren, braided dacron, 17 pound test blue blue stren.

Start with a 3 way and spinner rig and gulp minnow worm. 2 ounce Northland 3 way. Fish it in 15-20 feet of water, the gulp stays together thru perch attacks.

Once you locate some fish drop a marker and drift back with a jig and worm aor a jig and minnow and work the area hard.

Cover water and key in on the fish you find, don't leave fish to find fish

Darren

I like to use 4 ft of flourocarbon as a leader for walleye when I use a no stretch line.

Rip's bang on been using this method for the las year when pike re present in walleye waters and had some very good success and it cuts down on the visibilty on the super braid at the bait

Whopper