Gull Lake 08/03/15

ckewley

Leading into this past long weekend I had a few thing go awry so I was hoping my day on Gull Lake would go off without a hitch. 4 am the alarm fires & out the door by 4:30, off to Chris Brock's place I go but what is this wet stuff falling from the sky? Damn it...OK as long as it stays a drizzle we're OK. Booking my way up 35 I hit a Ride Program/Safety Stop just outside Lindsay.....at 5:30ish??? Waste 10-15 minutes there (10 or so cars ahead of me) back on my way when just outside of Coboconk the sky's decide to dump down. That lasted a few Km's then seemed to turn back to drizzle. Finally get to Chris's place around 7ish & wasting no time head down to start loading his boat.

pontoon_zpsexnrkjpt.jpg

Now, I own a inflatable Pontoon boat but now I want one of these things, awesome stuff!! The drizzle stayed with us for a little bit when the clouds from Coby flew overhead & pelted us with some rain. Pretty soaked by our first stop, drop our lines looking for Lakers to play with. Marked a few on the sonar but no takers. Move around to a few spots, Chris had a decent strike but it was gone. The sun threatened to peak out from behind the clouds, & when it did break through, we were dry within minutes. Chris's sonar took a dump which left us blind, even though Chris knew it wasn't battery related he tried another battery...NOPE!!! He knows the lake like the back of his hand so no worries, jet off to a few more spots & a couple of strikes later....

small%20laker_zpssseobaqq.jpg

This would be the only fish out of Gull for us this day, fortunately Chris had bigger plans in store for this day. You see Chris has a long list of lakes that go by the "Chris Lake:" moniker & I was lucky enough to be named Chris so I was invited to a nice little lake to try my hand at Muskie. I've never caught one let alone targeted them so...what the hell. We load his tinny & off we trek to this far flung lake. Launch the boat & Chris gives me to lay down on how to catch these fish. It wasn't long when I had a strike but no take, but it had my adrenaline pumping, Chris had a near take not long after. I hook up for what seemed like a few minutes, really only 30 seconds or so when it spat the hook, which flew in Chris's direction. Now I may have looked calm on the outside but man I was shaking on the inside....never get tired of that feeling. We continue cruising around the lake when I throw out a hair ball, my spinner was all twisted up, I did not know this until I got it in close enough to tell but what the hell was this thing following my bait. Had a decent size Muskie follow it to the boat which I didn't see until it darted off. Our second trip around the lake & Chris pipes up "I can feel the tension man, we're going to hook up soon" we pass by a few folks enjoying a leisure day off when Chris says " it be cool to put on a show for these people" no sooner said when bang I'm on to a decent fish & after a good couple of minutes of bulldogging, aerial spins, tail walking I had my first Muskie in the boat

muskie_zpsroiiqhhi.jpg

Sorry team 2 I didn't have a OFC sign nor a tape measure not that I cared at that moment. We continued around the lake & Chris had a nice follow to the boat, tried the figure 8 thing but no go, ended up catching a few Bass to finish the day. I really couldn't have asked nor planned a better day, it was awesome from start to finish & I can't wait for the next "Chris's Lake"