Navionics for IPad

wormdunker

I'm searching options to either add a chart plotter to my boat or download Navionics to my Ipad. I've been told I can download Navionics to my ipad that has greater detail than the app on my iPhone. Cost is $70.00. 1 or 2 problems I see is I would now need a holder to mount my ipad, also keep it safe from the elements (zip lock bag?). Do Ipads float?? LOL! Also the ipad is going to turn off & I'd have to restart it continually (this will be annoying).

In my search I found a Humminbird Helix for $510.00 which has Navionics chip included. Navionics gold card is $300.00 at BPS, $260.00 at Grimsby Tackle. So I get the Helix for $250.00 Sounds like a good deal.

I'm favouring the Helix along side my Humminbird 798 HD ci. I find the 798 on split screen is too small.

All comments & recommendations are greatly appreciated.

PS - I'm an older angler. Suggestions from the younger tech savvy fisher people would be awesome. Thanx

The only way I would EVER consider taking a tablet fishing for use with sonar, or GPS would be to find a very inexpensive android tablet... You can with a bit of searching get them for under 50.00 with bluetooth at stores that sell refurbs or on kijiji. I would then keep it in a ziplock bag sealed all the time. Just make sure the tablet is running the minimum OS and has the hardware to run the program...

I have seen too many friends who can't put the phone away while fishing have to cough up the coin to get a new one when theirs goes swimming, which phones don't do that well LOL.

I have Navionics on my iPAD and iPhone and I take them on the boat all the time. I even took the iPAD out on a boat rental in Florida running in Pine Island sound. I probably should get a waterproof case for the iPAD though. Bouncing around in FLA I was a bit nervous about it. I have a basic kind of flimsy mount for the iPAD. A RAM mount would be better.

Pros:

you can plan out trips on shore and bring it with you on the water. You can mark waypoints and look at them at home to see what similarities there are and pick you next spots for the next trip.

It works well for tracking routes and where you are.Screen refresh is fast, better than my Raymarine chart plotter from a few years ago.

Simple to use.

Cons:

Screen on iPAD is not bright enough for bright sunlight. OK if you have a bimini though. For Florida I made a temporary sun shield with some cardboard because the bimini did not shade enough. It worked OK.

Need to have power source on (uses lots of battery power on full bright and with GPS running)

Not waterproof.

Bottom line is its a great addition to a chartplotter, but I don't think I would want it as my only navigation device.

Edited by Canuck

Thanx for the comments/ suggestions. I never thought about the bright sun on the ipad for a good view. Also, is the heat of the sun going to damage it? The fish finders & chart plotters are designed for this kind of working environment.

I love using Navionics on my cheap 10" Tablet especially with the real time fish-sonar mapping option.

I think the real cost is actually closer to $200 now that Navionics forces paid customers to close AD windows after Ad windows blocking the actual maps!

Basically $60 just gets you an ad filled map app that will only go away after you purchase all the other map options.

Paying for the app twice (original owners know what I mean) is one thing but the unwanted ads are sleezy.

Thanx for the replies guys. I also have the iPhone version of Navionics but it lacks the detail I desire. I was at BPS yesterday looking at the Humminbird Matrix with the Navionics + card. As mentioned in my first post I already have a Humminbird 798 HD ci which I use for sonar, side scan & down image & GPS. My intention is to use the Matrix for chart plotter only. If I have a need for a bow mount transducer in the future I'll have that capability in the Matrix. Grimsby Tackle $510.00 for the Matrix & includes the Navionics + card. 1/2 the cost of my 798. That sounds reasonable to me.

Decent tablet, $170, navionics $60, waterproof case, $100, ram mount if your so inclined $50-100 depending on what mounting options you already own. Me, I'd go with a second unit, or sell the unit I already have and go to a bigger screen . I have a 7 inch sonar/plotter and I find this just right for split screen. I'm sure a bigger screen would be even nicer but I haven't had a problem following a contour and using my sonar at the same time as of yet.

I'm searching options to either add a chart plotter to my boat or download Navionics to my Ipad. I've been told I can download Navionics to my ipad that has greater detail than the app on my iPhone. Cost is $70.00. 1 or 2 problems I see is I would now need a holder to mount my ipad, also keep it safe from the elements (zip lock bag?). Do Ipads float?? LOL! Also the ipad is going to turn off & I'd have to restart it continually (this will be annoying).

In my search I found a Humminbird Helix for $510.00 which has Navionics chip included. Navionics gold card is $300.00 at BPS, $260.00 at Grimsby Tackle. So I get the Helix for $250.00 Sounds like a good deal.

I'm favouring the Helix along side my Humminbird 798 HD ci. I find the 798 on split screen is too small.

All comments & recommendations are greatly appreciated.

PS - I'm an older angler. Suggestions from the younger tech savvy fisher people would be awesome. Thanx

Pretty sure the app would keep the ipad from shutting the screen off?

Navionics on ipad does have other advantages. If you get a t-box, you can plot charts on the fly. It's the only way to do it, unless you spend $1500 (minimum) on an onix.

I love using Navionics on my cheap 10" Tablet especially with the real time fish-sonar mapping option.

I think the real cost is actually closer to $200 now that Navionics forces paid customers to close AD windows after Ad windows blocking the actual maps!

Basically $60 just gets you an ad filled map app that will only go away after you purchase all the other map options.

Paying for the app twice (original owners know what I mean) is one thing but the unwanted ads are sleezy.

Turn off mobile data and you won't get ads!

Edit: in theory. I do this with all my other apps and it disables them.

Edited by Sterling