Bass Opener 24th or 30th weekend?

redmanca

OK! Without getting laughed at too much on the board,

Is the bass opener the weekend of the 23rd, 24th of June or the 30th, 1rst of July this year?

I know by the book it is the last saturday of June, but I am staring to see some tournament dates in Ontario waters for the 24th of June - CSFL, Sinclair, Erie, Etc?

As many others here I'm Having a hard time waiting for the 30th! and I am looking for any excuse possible!

OH...just found a page that explains it!

Apparently they have changes that were effective starting January 1, 2007.

Largemouth & Smallmouth Bass - 4th Sat. in June to Nov. 30

The 4th saturday in June is the 23rd, so BASS OPENS JUNE 23 @ MIDNIGHT!!!

2007 Regulations

Since I never keep any bass to eat, the season is irrelevant to me. :rolleyes:

unless i'm misinterpreting what you're saying ...

you know that it doesn't mean you can targeting them during close season if you don't keep any right?

It will be here soon enough then it,s game on. Those that are lucky enough to get to the State side have already gotten thier lines wet on Erie,but we all know, Simcoe has the best quality. :D

I have never fished Simcoe for bass but can it really compete with Lake Erie in numbers and SIZE. It used to be 4 lb bass were trophy smallmouth on Lake Erie with a occasional 5 pounder throw in. Now since the smallmouths on Erie have been gouging themselves on gobies, 4 pounders are COMMON and 6 pounders and UP are now considered Trophy fish on Lake Erie, not to mention a good day on Erie can mean 25 to 50 NICE fish per outing for two guys.

And the answer to "do I target out of season bass". No I rather fish for walleye, crappie and Lake Erie jumbo perch. However, there are times I do take folks for bass because either they ask or I know it's the best option to have a fun day. But again, NONE are ever kept and all are released carefully. We all have to protect our sport.

I agree, but targeting OOS bass is doing the opposite of that.

Just because you release the fish, doesnt make it ok.

So you take a bass off their bed....you want to take a few pictures...in the meantime your boat drifts 30, 40, 50 feet from the bed. How do you know that it will find the bed again, to protect the little ones?

If they dont make it back to their bed, then their eggs get eaten....

Doesnt seem like protection to me.

We have waited this long to fish for bass, what is another couple weeks???