Never use steel wire brushes to clean BBQ grates

Cheap steel in the brushes nowadays.. a dozen people a year in Hamilton have issues with the bristles .. I use the stainless pad sold at canadian tire and since I have a Napoleon with real stainless grills I have no problem...

Thinking about what was reported I have never seen a BBQ brush with 1" long bristles. Maybe Hamilton (my hometown) has problems with cheap BBQ brushes because you can't swing a cat without hitting a dollar store. I'm still won't use one, haven't since I was told it will damage the grill surface. I'm not really Chicken Little, my Health and Safety background is probably showing.

I was taught how to burn off a grill from my pop and it has always worked.

Once you are done bbqing what ever, lay a layer of heavy tin foil over the entire grill ( not that cheap dollar store stuff BTW) and let the trapped heat bake off what ever mess there is. Once the grill/ mess has turned white, remove the foil and wipe with a scouring pad when cooled, not bush, the grill. It has worked for many many years for me. Never a problem.

EDIT TO ADD

Do this to the bottom of the grill as well. Flip the grills over and repeat said after your grill or before your next.

Edited by Brian B

This is why I really don't like using a grill. They get awful dirty and greasy!

I use a smoker/charcoal grill for everything. Easy to clean and with foil there is no real mess when smoking a pork shoulder or ribs.

In fact the BEST steak you will ever have is a flank steak cooked right on the coals.

If a grill isn't cleaned periodically the grease build up will cause burners to clog and uneven heat distribution.

The grill will also flame up in areas where the are build ups of grease. Thus causing food to burn.

A secret I learned a long time ago about grilling is to use very low heat and cook longer.

Less propane is used, meat retains juices, cooks even and doesn't burn.

Also, best thing when grilling sausages is to boil them 1st to remove excess fat. The fat will wreak havoc on the grill.

Happy grilling!