Enough is Enough!

LNSA_

I thought that the purpose of the petition was for ALL stakeholders to finally work together for the common goal of a better walleye fishery on Lake Nipissing? When some folks pointed out that while the petition was a great idea and threw their support behind you, they were admonished by you for saying that they doubted the "natives" would listen...now here we are with a post about wasteful netting...

Ya, I know, maybe it wasn't "natives" that are responsible for this. Maybe I will win LottoMax this Friday too :whistling:

Edited by Spanky

I also have a couple questions for LNSA. Does NFN have their own restocking program and do they help you guys financially with your efforts. In my opinion you guys are supplying them the fish and that is just as bad as the people buying it from them. I'm sure this is the reason the MNR are given you a hard time, they just don't have the balls to say so.

"towards" the government dock - not likely to the government dock.

If you recall, the last set of ghost nets (located back in 2014) were found in the same area.

http://www.nugget.ca/2014/06/23/third-ghost-net-found-in-lake-nipissing

A third ghost net full of fish was found floating in Lake Nipissing between the government dock and Manitou Islands. The discovery was made Friday. Witnesses told The Nugget the yellow net was full of various species of dead fish and was put into the back of a MNR conservation truck at the North Bay Waterfront Friday afternoon.

Jolanta Kowalski, senior media relations officer with the Ministry of Natural Resources said “the MNR did receive a report Friday of another ghost net with dead fish in the same area as the first one.”

“This is the third such net found this season. Our enforcement officials continue to investigate.”

Kowalski wouldn't comment on the cause of the free-floating nets.

All I can add is that two nets were found in the same general area – another net was found in different area on Lake Nipissing. They were all found over approximately two weeks.”

The point is to stock fish for everyone. Once they are in the water it is up to the MNR to make sure the fish are harvested in a legal manner. Not stocking because the resource can be abused is a poor argument for not stocking. It is giving up without attempting to correct an issue. The bright side of the stocking is to show the tourist that their is an effort to bring the fishery back to former glory and that generates an influx of money from another economy that is the best kind of prosperity you can get.

Art

I am not here to bash native people. There are good and bad in every race and every sect of life.

The problem stems from money. Treaty rights are in place to protect Native way of life. The unfortuneate part, is there are no regulations to prevent profit from this. There are a TON of Native people who use their treaty rights responsibly to provide for their families. They have that right and respect it. However, there ARE Native people who use it for profit.

I dont think we should categorize this as a Native issue, rather an issue where some people (Native or not) are exploiting the system for profit at the expense of a resource.

It's 2015. We are not in the times of the frontier where hunting and fishing meant survival. The traditional ways involved no gill nets, outboard motors, snow machines, rifles, etc.

we ALL need money to live.

no matter who you are or where you live.

money talks.

walleye would not be for sale by gill netters if those gill netters had funding from a secondary source. At least that's what I believe.

so as a society we need to create that secondary source, purchase out the nets, providing the secondary source of income to those who generate their current income from netting.

once that is done, then start rebuilding.

Edited by Steve

Again, does NFN have a restocking program and do they help financially with the LNSA? If they don't have a restocking program can anyone explain why not?

Probably because most live in poverty. Probably because they have far bigger societal issues to deal with. Probably because a good amount have been subject to rascism and abuse their whole lives.

I can name a bunch more too.

And we stock sturgeon, what are you doing to help fish populations, just out of curiousity?

Probably because most live in poverty. Probably because they have far bigger societal issues to deal with. Probably because a good amount have been subject to rascism and abuse their whole lives.

And we stock sturgeon, what are you doing to help fish populations, just out of curiousity?

:wacko:

Settle yourself down, you have completely lost perspective. Your previous post was a little bit over the top. This post is beyond ridiculous. How long do I have to pay (money and natural resources) because your mother was raped and beaten her whole childhood? Quit the blame game. There were many dark parts of history, it is time to move on.

My eyes are open, and I can see what we have created with this welfare state. It is as much the "white" man's fault as the "natives" with our handouts. The blame game and woe is me will never end until the handouts and special status end. We don't like what the world has become either, but if we want a life for ourselves we had to adapt. Time for you to do the same.

Edited by Spanky

For starters i have not kept a Walleye in almost 2 years out of that lake and i'm not a poacher. I buy my licence every year to help funding the resources.