Leafs Send Tellqvist To Phoenix (nf)

98Fahrenheit

The Toronto Maple Leafs have moved their surplus goalie.

Sources tell TSN that Michael Tellqvist has been traded to the Phoenix Coyotes in exchange for forward Tyson Nash and a fourth round draft pick.

Another source suggested there may be a minor-league player from Toronto accompanying Tellqvist to Phoenix, but that has not been confirmed.

Nash, 31, has been in the minors this season. He played 50 games for Phoenix last season, notching six assists. His best NHL season was 2000-2001 when he scored eight goals and seven assists for 15 points while piling up 110 penalty minutes.

Nash played with Darcy Tucker in junior, winning Memorial Cups with the Kamloops Blazers.

The Coyotes are looking for Tellqvist to shore up their inconsistent netminding.

Tellqvist played 25 games for the Leafs last season, posting a 10-11-2 record with a 3.13 goals against average and a .895 save percentage. He failed to stick with the Leafs this season after Jean-Sebastien Aubin beat him out for the back-up job behind Andrew Raycroft.

Its about time What was the sence of having three goalies on the pay roll Anyone who is a leaf fan knows that we are deep in goalies. We just have to hang in a year or two more and wait for Justin Poggie He is the real thing and the future for the leafs Raycroft is just a fillin till then. A Poggie, Oban duo will be nice..

Robin

Besides a minor salary dump I really don't see the point of this. I know Tellqvist is really just taking up space as a 3rd tender right now, but I don't expect Nash to come in and make any kind of impact. Hopefully the draft pick turns out nicely, but rarely do 4th rounders ever make much of an impact in the NHL. Seeing how desperate Phoenix is for stable goaltending, I would have thought something more in return would have been possible.

...Just my opinion...

There's been better goalies passed up by other teams on the waiver wire already this year. IMO getting anything for Telly was a coup for the Leafs. I suspect that taking Nash was the price the Leafs had to pay to get any kind of pick. As it stands, you can now subtract Telly's salary from the Leafs cap, Nash already was playing in the minors and he'll undoubtedly be a depth guy for the Marlies and won't be counted against the cap, plus they got a pick. Good move all around.

DTM..........Please...... this is some serious talk here,please keep the picket signs at the door.LOL :P:P

SOLO...You seem to be wise in this kind of stuff.Thanks for the input.I still feel Telly will be a number 1 starter.Young, and does have the skills to become one of the big names. It seems when a team loses it comes back to the goalie,been there for 10 years with my oldest son.Played rep.It,s a team game.The goalie will feed off the players same as the other way around.

Telly is just fine in my books.Aubin well, he is the real deal, I will agree on that as well.Kid can play.

Leafs will win the cup,when,well hopefully before Im gone.That will be a party.LOL

Yes DTM,your invited. :blahblah1::blahblah1::blahblah1::rolleyes::thumbsup_anim:

In my opinion, they lost their best young goalie when they aquired Raycroft. The Finnish kid Tuuku Rask, although he stayed in Finland for one more year, will be awesome for Boston for many years to come. Oh, and thanks for dealing Boyes to the sharks for Owen Nolan. The Bruins picked him up for Kyle McLaren.

What was the score last night anyway :)

There nothing serious about the Leafs.Their a joke now and l always will be :P:P:lol: :lol:

Didnt your parents ever teach you, that "if you havent got anything nice to say you should keep your mouth shut"? :P:D:D

I really am beggining to think that you hate the leafs Dan? :D

I have two favorite teams. TORONTO, and anyone who is playing the HABNOTS!! :thumbsup_anim:

GO LEAFS GO!! :thumbsup_anim:

Didnt your parents ever teach you, that "if you havent got anything nice to say you should keep your mouth shut"? :P:D:D

I really am beggining to think that you hate the leafs Dan? :D

I have two favorite teams. TORONTO, and anyone who is playing the HABNOTS!! :thumbsup_anim:

GO LEAFS GO!! :thumbsup_anim:

YEAH ....................WHAT HE SAID

:blahblah1::thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim:

Guest mistyriver1

You know I can't pass this up.................

DanthemanJersey.jpg

Like others have said, Leafs are deep in goaltending, and to get anything is a bonus. Like Robin said when the Leafs were looking to Telquist last year for those important games, he choked and that sealed his fate.