31 and Counting

Traveling alone, I arrived at Little Vermilion Lake yesterday for my 31st consecutive walleye opener on LV, if I can include 2013 & 2014 when late ice out delayed our visit for a few days. I thought it would be a good idea to arrive 2 days early for some pike fishing. That didn't work to my satisfaction, but it's okay.

Weather is really nasty and will become worse Sunday when 1-3" of freezing rain is expected. Snowfall is expected to reach 1-3" Monday. Kenora is expecting a big snow, but Kenora is way down the road from here.

We'll be feasting on walleyes since we didn't bring any of our infected poultry across the border.

The rest of our party is expected to arrive within an hour or so, if we get a taller ceiling and planes can be in the air. Whopper is bringing his world class home brewed pasta sauce for tonight's dinner, which will be prepared about 5 hours before walleye season opens.

Eight days ago our weather forecast was straight from Junior Gore's playbook, predicting plenty of sunshine and heat. I invested in sun block and emailed our guys to bring a cooler for each boat so we could store walleyes on ice to keep them from starting to turn on us. This week our catch will stay fresh on the floor of the boat in a burlap bag.

We'll have a great week in camp and on the water.

When/if I learn to fish LV I'll check into another lake and try finding fish. Won't promise a 31 year streak for the next lake.

I'm already planning my August 8 week fishing LV. Find walleyes just off humps in deep water, then move to shallower water on the hump where big pike will be hanging out, looking for a stray walleye. Tie on a larger jig, tip with a bigger salted minnow, lift the jig off the bottom 3 or 4 feet and hang on for a battle with some nice pike. It works. All pike don't live in cabbage.

Weather is keeping us in the house today and probably tomorrow. Freezing rain is close. Snow tomorrow.

Lots of sunshine yesterday. Six nice pike for me and we had a meal of small walleyes last night.

Strong rap around wind is bringing waves to the dock. We should be able to fish off the dock and pick up walleyes for dinner. Big pike will be lurking after walleyes.

Internet access is spotty at best.