Trailer. Galvanized vs Aluminum.

Hi guys,

My dad has been talking to me about getting a trailer for hauling stuff up to the cottage. He is torn between a Galvanized trailer that weighs 800 pounds and costs $1400 or an Aluminum trailer that weighs 350 lbs and costs $2000. I can see the Galvanized trailer being more durable but costing more fuel to tow. Also if it gets stuck I can see it not being very easy to get out.

Is there anything else I am missing? Any guys with trailers have past experiance on which they prefer?

Take the tow cap on the vehicle into consideration. If he's all wheel drive I wouldnt worry about gettin stuck(based on what you said about the roads travelled). Aluminum sounds like it would be the way to go, based on the type of vehicle you mentioned. Not that you couldnt pull an 800lb trailer, but fuel cost will be more, as well as you'd be able to load the extra 450lbs into the trailer.

yep seen a few boats. aluminum trailers are ok for occasional usage. but man ive seen some doozies that were junked in no time. guys buy the florida specials . there actually unfit for anyloads.. aluminum has its excellent qualtys just not for trailers imho.

We have an aluminum trailer at work that constantly needs things welded back together. Sure, its light, but its no good when its broken.

I have a 6x10 galv that hasnt needed any service in 10 yrs.

I also like my galv boat trailer.

S.

Im for galvanized trailers..a hot dipped galvanized steel trailer frame is lifetime, generally a large weight difference between equivalent trailers is indicative of a trailer made too light..aluminun is lighter of course but to get the same strength out of it as its steel counterpart you should be using considerably larger aluminum..as such the weight difference shouldn't be quite so significant.

I would get our galvanized trailers back on trade years after they were built when a customer upgraded and they would look the same as the day they left..no scratches, no rust..(on the galvanized parts of course). There are hot dipped trailers and there are plated trailers..I would be shopping for hot dipped.

Aluminum certainly look great..and there are some nice I-beam styes out there...if conditions arent that demanding its a significant weight advantage as mentioned..provided its up to the task.

Edited by smally21