credit river fishing for the first time

huzzsaba

I went fishing at credit river in erindale park for the first time today. I went to test out the new braided line I put on my reel as well as testing the waters lol. the water level was quite low compared to what I have seen before, but being the first time fishing there, I place my float at around 18 inches from the hook with a fake worm on it and it got stuck in something under the water. I eventually had to cut the line and bid farewell to 10 feet of brand new braid and my only float. I think I have to get used to that and keep some more floats in stock lol.

Just wondering what is the ideal distance from the hook that the float should be put on? The fake worm sure attracted a lot of the little baby fish, some whitish color and others dark (not sure what type of fish they were) who were literally going after it even though it was as big as them. who knows, the big fish may like it as well! I obviously didn't catch anything and neither did the others 4-5 guys while I was there, but then again I was only there for an hour around 10:30 am. Next time I go out will be early morning. Hoping for some better luck!

Edited by huzzsaba

You need it as close to the bottom as you think you can.If I had a quarter for every snag I had,I'd probably be $50 richer lol.Get a fluro leader quite a bit less test than than your main line.From what I know braid is a no no .We use mono,then down to a lesser pound fluro.A micro swivel below your float will help you not lose your float as well as help preventing twisting. Good luck going forward !!!

Edited by davey buoy

I think if I had pulled a little harder (which I should have) I could have gotten it out, but I guess being the first time and a few onlookers, I kind of gave up :ninja:.

I will look into the fluoro leader and moving the float closer.

Assuming you're going for trout/steelhead here......

Take a look at the rigging pictures here - http://www.raventackle.com/shotting_patterns.php

There is no set ideal depth, it depends on the depth of the water you're fishing but as a general rule, you want the bait near the bottom but don't fish too over depth.

If you're running braid, you need a fluorocarbon/mono leader as a minimum so the fish don't see it and you'd be better off with a shot line which holds the float and the shot as well so you don't tangle up as much or just use mono as your main line, much easier to use.

One more thing - if you're snagging the bottom at 18 inches, you're probably fishing in the wrong place, with clear water and bright sunlight the fish are very unlikely to hold in water that deep.

Thaks for the replies. I did fish the only hole I found which was a good 3-4 feet deep and it was right at the bank of the river. I also did see one bigger size fish swim by in the same vicinity. Considering it was swimming near the bottom,do I place the float like so that the hook is right near the floor of the river? If so, then wouldnt I have to place the float 2.5 -3 feet from the hook if I was fishing a 4 foot deep hole?

Sorry if these seem to be newb questions. Thanks

Thaks for the replies. I did fish the only hole I found which was a good 3-4 feet deep and it was right at the bank of the river. I also did see one bigger size fish swim by in the same vicinity. Considering it was swimming near the bottom,do I place the float like so that the hook is right near the floor of the river? If so, then wouldnt I have to place the float 2.5 -3 feet from the hook if I was fishing a 4 foot deep hole?

Sorry if these seem to be newb questions. Thanks

You got it,the float to hook length must be able to adjust for different depths.

ok, so first off, put your float on your mainline, attach a micro swivel below the float, then tie on a fluoro or mono leader anywhere from 4-8lb test about 18 inches long, this will keep you from losing floats

secondly, adjust to where the strike zone is by raising or lowering your float. start by scrapping bottom, and then raising in small amounts, i;ve had days where my bait is 6 inches below my float, and days where the bait is 6ft below the float, all depends on where the fish are sitting and where in the water column they are feeding

Fishing will only get better as fish move off the Redds, and into the deeper runs and holes to recuperate, this coming week should be good, the next week should be even better, as long as a big blow out rain doesn't flush most of them back to the lake, hardware ie quickfish and flatfish have worked well, after the roe bite slows, in the morning, flies are also accounting for some fish as well